none
With the new Download and Product Key UI I have lost product keys for some products.. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I cannot understand why I can no longer access some of product keys for Vista OS's. Before the new UI, I had product keys for Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium,

Some of the other keys are missing as well such as some of the earlier Office versions (2003) and Expression Web. I should have saved the keys but I didn't know that they would just disappear.

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:23 AM

Answers

• For both MSDN and TechNet, Retail subscribers may see different products and keys from VL Subscribers.

Vista Home Editions (Basic and Premium) were not supposed to be included for TechNet Subscribers, although since the retail bits are on a "combi-build" you can install them from the same disk that holds other versions of Vista. You would not be able to activate them though because the key is not provided. If you received the key previously it was in error. 

There has been ongoing discussion about whether these particular products are appropriate to include in the TechNet Subscription for evaluation purposes, and the discussions will likely continue. Products are added and removed from the Subscription for various business or legal reasons over time.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:43 AM

All replies

• I'll second this concern, as I wanted to get product keys for Home Basic and Home Premium. Is there a reason they are not listed, or is this just a glitch?

Monday, May 5, 2008 7:24 AM
  • checking on it. Are you an MSDN or a TechNet Subscriber? They have different entitlements as they pertain to Home and Consumer products.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:57 AM
  •  

I am a TechNet Subscriber. I could have sworn that under the old website I had access to those versions, but I hadn't gotten around to requesting the Product Keys for them. It would seem strange that I can get Ultimate and Business, but not Home Premium or Basic.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:47 AM
  • I too am a TechNet subscriber. I know for  a fact that I had those versions of Vista because I downloaded them and had them installed on some of my machines. The keys were present until this latest update. Also, some of the Office products are missing too.

This is my second year as a TechNet customer.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:13 PM
  •  

The silence is deafening. It seems that the rules of the game were changed. If you go to this link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/securedownloads/details/bb892756.aspx

you see that Vista now includes only Ultimate/Business/Enterprise if you have a TechNet subscription. How disappointing. It would seem fair that if I had access to other versions when I bought my subscription, I would be "grandfathered" in for any changes. Guess not.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:27 AM
  • For both MSDN and TechNet, Retail subscribers may see different products and keys from VL Subscribers.

Vista Home Editions (Basic and Premium) were not supposed to be included for TechNet Subscribers, although since the retail bits are on a "combi-build" you can install them from the same disk that holds other versions of Vista. You would not be able to activate them though because the key is not provided. If you received the key previously it was in error. 

There has been ongoing discussion about whether these particular products are appropriate to include in the TechNet Subscription for evaluation purposes, and the discussions will likely continue. Products are added and removed from the Subscription for various business or legal reasons over time.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:43 AM
  • Hmm. OK. It must have been a pretty systematic error, since the OP had deployed the Home versions, and I was pretty sure I had those Product Keys available to me. In fact, that is something I miss about the old website. It showed me what I could download much more clearly. The new site, with so much grayed out, is kind of silly from my point of view.

For what it's worth, I think the Home versions should be included. I realize that TechNet is targeting IT professionals, but that's not the whole TechNet audience. I bought the TechNet subscription in order to try out different Microsoft software in different configurations, on various types of hardware, to learn more about Microsoft software, get access to Microsoft experts, and to get beta software to play with. In other words, to evaluate and learn about what Microsoft has to offer. I can't be the only non-IT subscriber doing this. Additionally, I am often asked questions by friends and family about Microsoft products - most of those people have Home versions of software. (My assistance, by the way, keeps them happy with Microsoft. I mean, you wouldn't want them all running out and getting Macs, would you? ) By trying out the different versions, I can stretch, push and break the software without risk, and learn (and teach) a great deal in the process. I sure as heck am not going to do that on my OEM machines. TechNet is a great resource, but it could be better.

So if you all are counting votes, please add one more in favor of including the Home versions. Thanks.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:34 AM
  • The home versions of Vista were available on the old UI for well over a year. I never  had any problems accessing them until the new UI. So, I still believe that it was an error on the new UI and don't buy that the only reason that it was on the old UI because it was a mistake. If I had access and installed those versions on some of my equipment, I should still be able to access the product keys.

I suppose that I can get software (Magic Jellybean or the like) that will show me the keys (that I got legitimately as part of my TechNet subscription) so that I can write them down but I think that this is unacceptable.

This is very disappointing to me. The Vista keys are not the only ones that are missing........

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:49 AM