none
Visual Studio 2005 crashes when using Consume Adapter Service Wizard for OracleDBBinding RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows Server 2003 64bit. Fully patched Visual Studio, OS, etc.

Reinstalled WFC LOB, Adapter Pack 1.0, Oracle Client. All confirmed working. The BizTalk server is able to process all existing orchestrations and ports properly including 1 way and 2 way ports connecting to Oracle. 

For all intents and purposes this machine is fully functional, until I had to start development again on an EDI project. For which I needed to connect to Oracle. So I open the Consume Adapter Service Wizard (right click on project, Add Generated Items) and select OracleDBBinding from the dropdown. 

I then click Configure and enter the enter the Security username information and the URI Properties DataSourceName and PollingId.

I hit OK and it populates the URI in the parent screen as expected. I then click "Connect" 

After about 1 second of thinking it returns a message box with this:

Connecting to the LOB system has failed. The type initializer for 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection' threw an exception..

Then after a period of time another window pops up, but it isn't a message box. It is like a Visual Studio plugin popup window. It contains this:

Unhandled Exception was throw.

Stack:

at Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection.Dispose(Boolean disposing)

at System.ComponentModel.Component.Finalize()

Type: System.Exception

No, that is not a typo. It says literally "Unhandled Exception was throw."

I'm going insane with rage over this problem. I cannot figure out for the life of me what is wrong with this. I'm installing BizTalk Server and all my SDKs and Adapters on another machine to test this. But if you have any idea what the ____ is going on with this, please let me know. My sanity is at stake.

• Moved by Ben Cline1Moderator Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:17 PM Related to adapters (From:BizTalk Server General)
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:29 PM

Answers

• Upon further investigation I found that this is an issue with case sensitivity on passwords.

In any oracle client I use except how the LOB Adapter pack is using it the case does not matter, however for the LOB Adapter pack you must use upper case characters for your password only or you get this error.

That being said, such a problem shouldn't be crashing the application the way it does with such poor error messages. I have already moved past using LOB v1.0 though so this doesn't affect me anymore, but hopefully it can help someone still.

• Marked as answer by Bon Franklin Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:57 PM

All replies

• Installed BizTalk on another machine, 32bit only. Works now. Still really angry I had to waste so much time on this issue.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:47 AM
  • I do not think this is something you did wrong - this may be a BizTalk bug. Which version of BizTalk are you using? I am not sure if BizTalk 2006 R1 supported the Adapter Pack 1.0.

There are some known issues when working with the OracleDBBinding. Here is a page that lists some regarding install issues: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc185532(BTS.10).aspx.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:03 PM
  • It is R2, sorry I didn't specify. I know the Adapter Pack works since we used it to develop the system we currently have in production. We'd since migrated to a new development server which was 64bit instead of 32bit so I suspect that has something to do with it. 

But I'm able to get my work done now anyway. Thanks much for following up though!

Monday, August 2, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Upon further investigation I found that this is an issue with case sensitivity on passwords.

In any oracle client I use except how the LOB Adapter pack is using it the case does not matter, however for the LOB Adapter pack you must use upper case characters for your password only or you get this error.

That being said, such a problem shouldn't be crashing the application the way it does with such poor error messages. I have already moved past using LOB v1.0 though so this doesn't affect me anymore, but hopefully it can help someone still.

• Marked as answer by Bon Franklin Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:57 PM