Popup Windows in Win8 Apps C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I would like to ask, how do you show a popup window in C# Win8 Apps? Currently, what I am using is the Popup class, but based on using it, I think it is just a container which you can show or hide, but it takes up space in the same UI.

What I want is something like this:

There is a button "Enter User Information" that if the user clicks, a "new mini window" will 'popup' where it contains all the necessary field inputs it needs. The nature of the window would somewhat be like the MessageDialog, in which the user needs to enter information first and click OK or Cancel before returning to the previous UI.

Kind of like, the popup window and the original UI exist on different layer, where the popup window is the functioning one and the other one is just in the background.

I hope it is clear. Thank you!

• Edited by OCS.New Friday, August 17, 2012 2:46 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:45 AM

Answers

• You have to create it all from scratch, indeed using the Popup class. The article below gives a nice example on how to implement it in such a way that it resembles a dialog box.

http://blogs.u2u.be/diederik/post/2012/06/12/Modal-Dialogs-in-Windows-8-Metro.aspx

Essentially you add a Popup to a Page and in that Popup another page is hosted with a Grid that uses its Opacity property to dim the background. In the middle of that Page you can show whatever you want. 

• Marked as answer by OCS.New Friday, August 17, 2012 6:41 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:32 AM

All replies