none
Building a Scalable website RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello everyone, this is my first post so please forgive me if its in the wrong place, i did look around but this seems the most logical place. I am in the early stages of trying to build a website using visual studio 2005 and sql server 2005, however i wanted to find out what the logical steps would be, for instance do i build a "Data access layer". Also what is good for website performance in terms of Datasets, Datareaders considering the site would possibly have 10s of thousands of concurrent users. I would be appreciative if you could throw me all the information that you possibly can. Thank you
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 10:34 PM

All replies

• The simplest answer is "Don't." 
    Take a look at what's available out there for ASP.Net frameworks and build upon them. Probably the most notorious out there is DotNetNuke. It takes a bit of reading to understand how to build on frameworks like this, but for a couple of days reading & experimenting you can get started on a project that will take a few days to weeks to materialize into the start of a website you picture in your mind; instead of weeks to months of trial & error re-inventing the wheel only to learn you need to tear it apart again and again. DNN has examples, tutorials, and an active forum for Q&A plus showcasing custom modules to fit common website/e-commerce scenarios.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 11:13 PM