SkyDrive Desktop Integration

Question

• Hello there

I have been interested to read about the planned integration of SkyDrive into the Desktop\Explorer\Metro Style apps, for example http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/20/connecting-your-apps_2c00_-files_2c00_-pcs-and-devices-to-the-cloud-with-skydrive-and-windows-8.aspx.  Is there somewhere I can go to get the latest information about this?

I have been writing a JavaScript based Metro Style application using Winrt, and store my application's data in a series of local text files. 

I need to be able to continue to read and write to my storage without asking the user's permission.

At the moment, I am syncronising this data with the same set of files on the user's SkyDrive account using the Live Connect API.  This is cumbersome and cannot effectively be done without taking over the UI for significant amounts of time (the download\upload is quite slow, and the API does not work from a web worker).  I would like to be able to write directly to the user's "local" SkyDrive folder, and to use the in-built syncronisation (or at least to be able to copy my local files to and from this "local" SkyDrive folder).  Will I be able to do this? (i.e. will my application be able to read and write text files to the "local" SkyDrive folder without security restrictions).

Many thanks

Geoff Olding

Monday, May 28, 2012 7:21 AM

All replies

• You can persist the Login info today and not have to prompt for login. Once signed in the app will not require you to login again:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappdev/archive/2012/03/14/bring-single-sign-on-and-skydrive-to-your-windows-8-apps-with-the-live-sdk.aspx

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Thanks for your reply

I am using the API  that you reference - the user does not need to log in if they have an account linked to their Windows live id.

As I say, using the API to upload and download my data files to SkyDrive using the main thread doesn't provide an ideal user experience.  There are ways I can optimise it, but only to a certain extent - I certainly won't be able to make it seamless if the API is not going to be made to work within a web worker context.

My question is around "SkyDrive on the desktop" as described in the article (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/20/connecting-your-apps_2c00_-files_2c00_-pcs-and-devices-to-the-cloud-with-skydrive-and-windows-8.aspx).

This article is saying that SkyDrive will be more heavily integrated into Windows 8 than it is at the moment, for example in the following statement:

"For app developers, this means that, so long as your app supports opening and saving documents and photos, it will automatically support SkyDrive without any additional work."

This feature is not available at the moment.  It seems clear that the user will be able to open and save individual files to SkyDrive using the File Picker.  However, it is not clear whether there will be new features available to the application developer to allow the application (user interaction free) access to the user's SkyDrive files via the new "SkyDrive Desktop" features, for example to open a file on "SkyDrive Desktop" as if it were part of the application's local file storage.

Many thanks

Geoff Olding

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Hi Geoff,

You can try asking your question on that blog.  We do not discuss future plans in the forums... sorry.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:10 PM