Metro app fails - The Store Metro style application opens instead of the selected Metro style application

Question

• Hi. I've just refreshed my PC and after that no metro app, except IE, won't execute. Simply starts, then I get the Store App screen whit the message that is not yet available. If I switch back to the metro app it waits a few seconds and then fails. What could be the problem?
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi. I've just refreshed my PC and after that no metro app, except IE, won't execute. Simply starts, then I get the Store App screen whit the message that is not yet available. If I switch back to the metro app it waits a few seconds and then fails. What could be the problem?

Sounds like you have removed IE from Windows Features (e.g. by unchecking it) but that left the IE Metro tile?  I was wondering if that case would be covered.  Can you still use IE in Desktop mode?  If not that would be another confirmation of the hypothesis.   In that case if you really wanted to use IE you would simply go back and undo what was done to cause that--check IE as a Windows Feature.   Otherwise there may be a possibility that toggling it off and on would effect some kind of repair (e.g. being optimistic about the factor I was previously being pessimistic about).   In that case though I would want to have a second browser ready to be activated (JIC).

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:56 PM
  • On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 15:56:40 +0000, Robert Aldwinckle on forums [MVP]
    wrote:

Hi. I've just refreshed my PC and after that no metro app, except IE, won't execute. Simply starts, then I get the Store App screen whit the message that is not yet available. If I switch back to the metro app it waits a few seconds and then fails. What could be the problem?

Sounds like you have removed IE from Windows Features?(e.g. by unchecking it) but that left the IE Metro tile?? I was wondering if that case would be covered.? Can you still use IE in Desktop mode?? If not that would be another confirmation of the hypothesis.?? In that case if you really wanted to use IE you would simply go back and undo what was done to cause that--check IE as a Windows Feature.?? Otherwise there may be a possibility that toggling it off and on would effect some kind of repair (e.g. being optimistic about the factor I was previously being pessimistic about).?? In that case though I would want to have a second browser ready to be activated (JIC).

I think you've misread the OP (probably a language issue.) The way I read
    the post is that the Metro version of IE is the only Metro app that
    works, not the other way around.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    GIGO:  A movie industry acronym referring to the numerous "Gidget Goes..."
    movies, i.e.  GIGO Hawaii, GIGO surfing, etc.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Hi velikivelicu,

please ensure that your Screen Resolution is set to 1024x768 or above, Metro also requires UAC to be enabled in order to function. Try to get your updates, especially those related to your display drivers.

Irfan
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:59 PM
  • I think you've misread the OP

Maybe.  I was guessing that it was a protocol issue.  E.g.  see what happens if you try to  Run...  (Win-R)  about:blank.   I have About:Blank  as my Home page for IE.   How does that work?   <eg>

---

Saturday, January 14, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Hello velikivelicu,

I am also not sure if I am reading your post correctly.

If your Metro apps are only opening to the Windows store, then it is most likely that you have a corrupt user profile.
    You can try and create a new local or Windows Live ID account and the Metro apps should now open correctly to the Metro app.

Or you can try a refresh of the PC and the Metro apps should open correctly.
    When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept.
    All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started.
    Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if Metro apps open correctly.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:07 PM