How to import Headers in PowerPivot RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very large text data file with no headers, I have a separate text file which contains only one record: the header names.

How can I import both the data and the headers into PowerPivot so that I can see the header name at the top of each column?

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:39 PM

Answers

• Even if you plan to merge two files in one, ensure that column names have the default column delimiter in them along with a carriage return. You may use the DOS command as:

copy header.file + body.file new.file

But again, I would not advocate this solution for a automated systems.

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps
    Cheers, Raunak | t: @raunakjhawar | My Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Kerry,

Are you using Excel 2010 or 2013?

Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Office 2010
    Monday, December 16, 2013 10:01 PM
  • I have a very large text data file with no headers, I have a separate text file which contains only one record: the header names.

How can I import both the data and the headers into PowerPivot so that I can see the header name at the top of each column?

Hi Kerry,

You should merge the "Header name" and "text" data files into one. When we import data into PowerPivot data model, we need to select "Use first row as column header" option. Please see the screenshot below:

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:46 AM
  • Even if you plan to merge two files in one, ensure that column names have the default column delimiter in them along with a carriage return. You may use the DOS command as:

copy header.file + body.file new.file

But again, I would not advocate this solution for a automated systems.

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps
    Cheers, Raunak | t: @raunakjhawar | My Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:01 AM
  • Thanks for the Dos command - I did not know how to merge the files but this looks pretty easy.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:07 PM