Don't See Application Files button on Publish Tab RRS feed

• Question

• Why don't I see the Application Files button on the Publish Tab?

I see exactly 4 buttons:

Prerequisites,Updates,Options and Publish Now. That's it.

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:36 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the response.

The answer seems to be in the type of project being used. If I load a console or Windows Forms project, I get the publish screen as in your links and as described by all the MS docs. If I'm working in an VSTO project, which I am, I get the screen I described initially; without the App Files button (plus the layout of the tab is different).

I don't know why VS does this, why VS suppresses the Application Files button for VSTO projects, nor why MS doesn't put this difference in their documentation.

• Marked as answer by RobL2 Monday, September 26, 2011 2:31 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi RobL2,

I cannot reproduce this issue in VS2008 and VS2010.

Please see the following photoes.

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=475f7e3ebe2eef90&sc=photos&uc=2&id=475F7E3EBE2EEF90%21129!cid=475F7E3EBE2EEF90&id=475F7E3EBE2EEF90%21135&sc=photos

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=475f7e3ebe2eef90&sc=photos&uc=2&id=475F7E3EBE2EEF90%21129!cid=475F7E3EBE2EEF90&id=475F7E3EBE2EEF90%21136&sc=photos

In addition, please try the following solutions:

1. If we reboot the operating system to safe mode, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can apply or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also suggest “clean boot”: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353.

2. If we create a new user account, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate user profile corruption related causes.

3. If we disable Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “devenv.exe /safemode”, do we still have the problem? This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

4. If we use “devenv.exe /resetsettings”, does it solve the problem? It restores Visual Studio default settings.

5. If we create a new project, do we have the problem? Sometimes corrupted project settings can cause problems. These are project specific.

6. If the problem remains, we can use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio. It can restore the Visual Studio Installation into its original state.

If you have tried all the above solutions , and this issue still exists, I recommend you to uninstall and re-install you Visual Studio. And please mark the useful reply as answer.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

The answer seems to be in the type of project being used. If I load a console or Windows Forms project, I get the publish screen as in your links and as described by all the MS docs. If I'm working in an VSTO project, which I am, I get the screen I described initially; without the App Files button (plus the layout of the tab is different).

I don't know why VS does this, why VS suppresses the Application Files button for VSTO projects, nor why MS doesn't put this difference in their documentation.

• Marked as answer by RobL2 Monday, September 26, 2011 2:31 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:07 PM