How to install embedded standard 7 without a restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am installing Windows embedded 7 on a Node. I have created the unattended answer file and as the installation a restart happens before the setup is complete. I wanted to know if there is a way to stop the restart to happen or can I pause it for user prompts like wait until user presses "A" key. Essentially the reason I need it that way because I wanted the user to remove the flash drive from where the installation is happening before the setup restart happens. Is there some way this can be done

Monday, April 30, 2012 10:57 PM

Answers

• Easier: mount the IBW \sources\boot.wim file. rename SETUP.EXE in root (or delete) commit and unmount.
    Than use as robert recommend the startnet.cmd or winpesh.ini.

I personaly use startnet.cmd because of the limitation to launch the unattended setup only from UFD or DVD NOT HDD automatically. (i first clean with diskpart and than run the sources\setup.exe with some command lines.)

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:08 PM

All replies

• Is the answer file automatically partitioning and formating the drive?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Try running IBW with setup.exe /noreboot. You can pass in your answer file with setup.exe /unattend:myunattend.xml /noreboot.

That will exit setup instead of rebooting automatically. You can probably write a batch file to call that command, then display a message to the user once setup is finished.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:27 AM
  • Hi Sean

Yes the answer file is partitioning and formatting the disk

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for the response. Can you elaborate a little more on how I can achieve this. I create the answer file using ICE. Then I create Media from answer file. Make a flash drive bootable and copy all the files from the directory where I have setup and related files created. Plug the flash drive into the node and restart the node. This would start the embedded standard 7 installation automatically,

What should I do if I have to use the process you suggested

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:27 PM
  • You'll want to create a WinPE disk, then launch IBW from that.

In addtion to doing your create media from answer file, do Create Windows PE image from the same menu item in ICE. Instead of copying your IBW files to the root of your USB drive, copy the contents of the WinPE ISO folder to your drive. Next, make a subfolder on your drive called IBW, then copy your IBW files to this sub folder.

Now you'll have your USB drive set up to boot into the WinPE OS instead of directly into IBW. The only difference here is that IBW isn't being launched automatically. So, when you stick this USB drive in your device and boot, you'll end up at a command prompt. From here, launch <usb drive letter>\IBW\Setup.exe /unattend:myunattend.xml /noreboot.

To get IBW to launch automatically with those flags, you can look into startnet.cmd, which is the script that WinPE uses to launch programs on startup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766521(v=WS.10).aspx

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Easier: mount the IBW \sources\boot.wim file. rename SETUP.EXE in root (or delete) commit and unmount.
    Than use as robert recommend the startnet.cmd or winpesh.ini.

I personaly use startnet.cmd because of the limitation to launch the unattended setup only from UFD or DVD NOT HDD automatically. (i first clean with diskpart and than run the sources\setup.exe with some command lines.)

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Hi Knarz,

Can you elaborate on how will I can do what you suggested.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:31 PM
  • search for DISM or IMAGEX and read the manuel/command lines for autostart search for STARTNET.CMD (just Batch) or WINPESH.INI <-- Technical references
    setup.exe /? will guide you to the best possible result while installing.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Hi Robert

I tried this but it did not work as my Image is full image starting off from PE also. it gave me an error to say PE boot strap settings can not be applied. Is there someway I can create a without applying any PE setting as the system is already booted to PE

Monday, May 7, 2012 10:34 PM