ETA on Entity Framework version 6 provider? RRS feed

• Question

• Entity Framework 6.0 (still preview) broke backwards compatibility in several applications, including the WCF Data Services' Entity Framework provider. I haven't yet heard any plans or seen a road-map for support for an Entity Framework 6.0 provider for WCF Data Services, or fixes to the current EF provider to support either EF5 or EF6 data sources. I am going to need EF6, at the very least for its support of TVF in code-first models, but also its improved model building performance enhancements.

For the most part, the required adjustments have been minor if you're using EF directly (mostly namespace changes). Can we get this in the 5.4 timeframe? If so, can we get a preview package on nuget, or nightly builds, or something. Thanks!

I posted this UserVoice suggestion:

http://data.uservoice.com/forums/72027-wcf-data-services-feature-suggestions/suggestions/3697243-entity-framework-6-provider

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for filing this at UserVoice, but this isn't currently planned, and will certainly not make it into the 5.4 release. We are looking at making our internal implementations of IDataServiceQuery/MetadataProvider for EF public, and at that time it may make sense to also look into supporting EF 6. Right now there are known technical limitations of those interfaces which prevent creating a custom provider with high-fidelity to what is in-box, but it might be possible to address those and make implementing a custom EF6 provider possible sooner.

Matt Meehan (WCF Data Services / OData)

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi JeroMiya,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I am trying to involve a senior expert into your thread. Please wait for the response. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 1, 2013 1:47 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for filing this at UserVoice, but this isn't currently planned, and will certainly not make it into the 5.4 release. We are looking at making our internal implementations of IDataServiceQuery/MetadataProvider for EF public, and at that time it may make sense to also look into supporting EF 6. Right now there are known technical limitations of those interfaces which prevent creating a custom provider with high-fidelity to what is in-box, but it might be possible to address those and make implementing a custom EF6 provider possible sooner.

Matt Meehan (WCF Data Services / OData)

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Is there an update on this?  I have an existing project that relies on WCF and EF and this was my one opportunity schedule-wise to upgrade technologies.  Of course I thought that I could move each to the latest and greatest rev but this is disheartening.  Are you really saying that because the EF team went open source that Microsoft no longer has any responsibility, or motivation, to make sure it's technologies work together? Really?
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 5:04 AM
  • We are currently working on it and we will release a Nuget package soon for the EF6 provider. I will post to this thread once we release something.

Thanks

Pratik

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Okay, so VS 2013 is out.  EF 6 is official.  What is the latest on this.  I have WCF DS 5.6 and getting this error: Expression of type 'System.Data.Entity.Core.Objects.ObjectContext' cannot be used for return type 'System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext'  Is this Nuget package ready?
    Monday, October 21, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Here's the preview release for the EF6 support: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astoriateam/archive/2013/10/02/using-wcf-data-services-5-6-0-with-entity-framework-6.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Pratik

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:42 PM