none
Create Product Key and Trial Version RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a small commercial application in Visual Basic 2012 and MySQL database. Now, I want to sale it with trial version and registered version. I want set only 7 days for Trial period, it count from installation date. If  it's greater than for 7 days then show Enter Product key, If It's not Enter Product Key don't show splash screen.Then Product Registration Key is depend on Machine ID. Eg: Machine ID is 30-F7-72- XX-XX-XX and Product Key is 1234-1234-1234-1234 then this product Key is not use another system. However, I am not getting any idea to design a Product Registration Code!. Please Help my source code............

Register Form Design

dopenoinam

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:01 PM

All replies

• Dopen,

From someone who's been down this road before -- buy it from a reputable company. You'll spend a long time to make your own.

For what it's worth...

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:54 PM
  • Pretty much no matter what you do, at some point your program has to test if the information matches. If the program is popular, someone will hack it. If you want to spend a lot of money and time, you can delay the inevitable, but probably not stop it.
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:32 PM
  • Pretty much no matter what you do, at some point your program has to test if the information matches. If the program is popular, someone will hack it. If you want to spend a lot of money and time, you can delay the inevitable, but probably not stop it.

A bigger issue, in my opinion, are people like me.

I wouldn't bother trying to steal it ... I'd make my own.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:37 PM
  • Dopen,

Not trying to be snarky here, but do you obfuscate your source code?

I you don't then it's all a moot point.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:42 PM
  • Hello,

If your software is going to produce revenue (and you are sure of it) then personally I would obfuscate the code as per Frank's recommendation followed up by using commercial software to control the trial aspect. One such library is IntelliLock (supports up to VS2015). Wring your own from the ground up many take days to a week to write and then one must ask, how much is my time worth on an hourly basis then compare that to the cost of a third party library that works within your code and has a user interface for configuring the trial aspect of your application. Point in fact, I worked for a company that had the number one networking library, the author was a great developer and smart enough to know after spending a day on what you are looking to do was to shell out under two hundred dollars for a product and never looked back).

Screenshot of IntelliLock configuration 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, June 16, 2017 7:45 AM
  • This is an advertisement and I'm not trying to give them free air time here, but the explanation is well done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqvRyduULrw

Friday, June 16, 2017 12:17 PM