How to retrieve data from broken SQLExpress 2005 database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. My client has the MDF/LDF files from SQLExpress 2005 that were created from Outlook 2007 Business Contacts Manager (MSSmallBusiness). His XP machine got whacked so he bought a new Windows7 machine running Office 2007. Now he can't re-open the database in Outlook or directly in SSMS because he's "Not the owner of this database". I tried attaching the MDF but got "Access Denied". We also tried changing his computer name and user name to what it was on the old machine (we think!) but got the same error.

Any help on how we can break in and retrieve his contacts?

Darrell H Burns
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Darrell,

In case of the User Account Control issue on Windows 7 operating system, please have a try to run the SQL Server Management Studio with ‘run as Administrator’, or change the User Account Control Setting as below:

1- open User Account Control Setting page
    2- put it on "Never notify"
    3- Restart the PC
    4- Open SQL server page and attach the DBs
    5- reset the User Account Control Setting

One thing here is that the SQL Server service account should have read permission on the database files.

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you send exact error when attaching the database??

Thanks, Harpreet http://myharpreet.blogspot.com
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:33 PM
  • Sorry, that was incorrect, I'm not getting an error message. It just hangs while "Executing".
    Darrell H Burns
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:27 AM
  • Can you check if you have the session that attaching the database in sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks view (just select from there) and see what is the wait type if so?

Thank you!

My blog: http://aboutsqlserver.com

Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:11 AM
  • Hi Darrell,

In case of the User Account Control issue on Windows 7 operating system, please have a try to run the SQL Server Management Studio with ‘run as Administrator’, or change the User Account Control Setting as below:

1- open User Account Control Setting page
    2- put it on "Never notify"
    3- Restart the PC
    4- Open SQL server page and attach the DBs
    5- reset the User Account Control Setting

One thing here is that the SQL Server service account should have read permission on the database files.

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:59 AM