You do not have an e-mail address RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have set up users in the Active Directory for a SharePoint 2010 Server w/ Enterprise Features site.  I entered the users' email addresses in the field labeled as such.  However, when I try to set an alert, I receive this error:

You do not have an e-mail address.
    Alert has been created successfully but you will not receive notifications until valid e-mail or mobile address has been provided in your profile

Is this a configuration problem, perhaps something in Central Admin?  I can't seem to find it.  Thanks!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers

• i think at this point i can say, double check your steps while creating a user profile service. this is good blogs, http://sharepointgeorge.com/2010/configuring-the-user-profile-service-in-sharepoint-2010/

make sure the App pool accounts having the right permission. Also check the ULS logs for any clue or Event Log.

thanks

Waqas

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    • Marked as answer by rc.alex Friday, April 29, 2011 3:41 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• check this blog: having solution, also check the comments at the end. http://www.khamis.net/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=22

and another thought:

There's a possibility it could be a timer job issue. There's a timer job definition called "User profile  to SharePoint Full Synchronization" which synchronizes user information from the user profile application to SharePoint users. Check to see if this has been run since your last profile import.

If not, manually run it and see if that works. Central Administration > Monitoring > Review Job Definitions, locate and click on the timer job I mentioned and then click "Run Now".

If it doesn’t work, the last method is to delete the "user profile  service application" and recreate it.

hope this works

thanks

-ws

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:38 PM
  • check this blog: having solution, also check the comments at the end. http://www.khamis.net/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=22

and another thought:

There's a possibility it could be a timer job issue. There's a timer job definition called "User profile  to SharePoint Full Synchronization" which synchronizes user information from the user profile application to SharePoint users. Check to see if this has been run since your last profile import.

If not, manually run it and see if that works. Central Administration > Monitoring > Review Job Definitions, locate and click on the timer job I mentioned and then click "Run Now".

If it doesn’t work, the last method is to delete the "user profile  service application" and recreate it.

hope this works

thanks

-ws

Thanks.  I tried manually running the User Profile Service Application but there was no affect.  How can you recreate it??

Thanks

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Hi rc.alex,

The is caused by the email address it is not updated to the user profile(The email address might be null from my settings).

To fix the issue, please sync up the user profile. The solution can be found from:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/paulpaa/archive/2009/10/01/user-profile-information-not-updated-on-site-collection-s-people-and-group.aspx

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

While that article is for MOSS 2007, I did check what appears to be the 2010 equivalent timer jobs.  They are set to run every 5 minutes and hourly (quick and full sync).

10 profiles initially imported, but since nothing else has imported or updated.

Thanks.

Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Hi rc.alex,

Yes, the article is for MOSS 2007, but I am sure it works for SharePoint server 2010 too. I met the same issue, and follow the article to fix the issue.

You should try to run the job munually, and ensure the mail address is updated to "My Settings"("Account Name" > "My Settings").

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:06 AM
  • rc.alex, have you even configured your User Profile Service Application to work properly?  Is your User Profile Synchronization Service running, and have you SUCCESSFULLY run a full profile import?  If not, then you need to get that working.  There is no such thing as "Manually running the User Profile Service Application," so when you wrote those words, it led me to believe you may not have actually completely building your farm yet...

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:53 AM
  • rc.alex, have you even configured your User Profile Service Application to work properly?  Is your User Profile Synchronization Service running, and have you SUCCESSFULLY run a full profile import?  If not, then you need to get that working.  There is no such thing as "Manually running the User Profile Service Application," so when you wrote those words, it led me to believe you may not have actually completely building your farm yet...

Clayton,
    I originally set up the UP sync service referencing the article you linked.  As far as I know the profiles were imported successfully because in the "manage" area of the UPS application, it shows the number of profiles.  However, only 10 were imported into the actual SP site, and after that it won't even update the 10.

Please see the syncronization event log I previously posted here:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010setup/thread/4e41503d-a6bf-4893-ad5f-a2836480cedf
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:37 PM
  • THat's an indication it's not working or the sync connection was not created properly.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Here is the log from when I just told it to "Run Full Syncronization Now"

Active Directory -
    Stage Active directory import
    Additions 0
    Updates 0
    Unchanged 116
    Successes 116
    Failures 0
    Start Time 4/4/2011 9:05:01 AM
    End Time 4/4/2011 9:05:02 AM 

Stage SharePoint Server import
    Additions 0
    Updates 34
    Unchanged 80 
    Successes 114
    Failures 0
    Start Time 4/4/2011 9:06:01 AM
    End Time 4/4/2011 9:06:10 AM

Active Directory -
    Stage Active directory synchronization
    Additions 0
    Updates 0
    Unchanged 0
    Successes 0
    Failures 0
    Start Time 4/4/2011 9:07:01 AM
    End Time 4/4/2011 9:07:15 AM

Stage SharePoint Server export
    Additions 0
    Updates 34
    Unchanged 0
    Successes 34
    Failures 0
    Start Time 4/4/2011 9:08:02 AM
    End Time 4/4/2011 9:08:09 AM

Stage SharePoint Server import
    Additions 0
    Updates 34
    Unchanged 0
    Successes 34
    Failures 0
    Start Time 4/4/2011 9:08:10 AM
    End Time 4/4/2011 9:08:20 AM

Stage SharePoint Server synchronization
    Additions 0
    Updates 0
    Unchanged 0
    Successes 0
    Failures 0
    Start Time 4/4/2011 9:09:01 AM
    End Time 4/4/2011 9:09:06 AM

Active Directory -
    Stage Active directory export
    Additions 0
    Updates 0
    Unchanged 0
    Successes 0
    Failures 0
    Start Time 4/4/2011 9:10:01 AM
    End Time 4/4/2011 9:10:02 AM

Active Directory -
    Additions 0
    Updates 0
    Unchanged 0
    Successes 0
    Failures 0
    Start Time 4/4/2011 9:11:01 AM

There were no updates when I view the People and Groups list in the SP interface.  I don't know if this has to do with the fact that MySites are also not appearing when the user clicks on the link to their name.

Monday, April 4, 2011 2:16 PM
  • I added proprties to one of the users without a Title and Department, ran a "full syncronization":

Active Directory - Domain SP
    Additions 0
    Updates 1
    Unchanged 115

When I view the user's profile in Central Administration, the information has updated and is shown in their account.

However in People and Groups list in the SharePoint browser interfact the user still has no information tied to their account.

Monday, April 4, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Hi rc.alex,

What do you mean "Full Synchronization"? Do you mean a full synchronization to the AD?
    Actually, we should run the "User Profile Service - User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization" job to sync the user's profiles from user profile service to SharePoint ("People and groups"):

1. Open the Central Administration
    2. Click Monitoring
    3. Click Review Job Definitions
    4. Find the job "User Profile Service - User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization", and then click it
    5. In the "Edit Timer Job" page, click "Run Now" to run the job immediatelly.
    6. After that, please ensure the job is executed correctly from the "Check Job Status"

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Jinchun,

I do get status "succeeded" but when I click the "succeeded" for more information, the duration (hh:mm:ss) is 0:00:00.

So it's claiming the job succeeded but took 0 seconds.  Because it claims it was successful, I don't know what to troubleshoot.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Hi rc.alex,

Thank you for your reply.

I noticed the duration is 0:00:00 in my environment too. It may means the job is finished within 1 second. After the job is finished, the properties is updated to SharePoint users.

Could you please verify if the email address is updated to the user you mentioned in this case?

Alternative, if possible, could you please give me the controls over you computer? I will try to troubleshoot the issue in your environment.
    If so, it is fine, please send a confirmation to spforumdata AT microsofot.com(Please replace the AT witl @, and remove the blanks)

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:16 AM
  • I apologize, I forgot to mention another issue.  (it's been a very long day)

Earlier today in troublshooting, I deleted the UPS Service Application and created a new one.  Since then I have not been able to add a Syncronization Connection, but each time I try I get the error: "Unable to process Put message".  So I guess until I can get a syncronization connection created the UPS timer job won't work.  My apologies. 

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Hi rc.alex,

You are right. We need to make the Synchronization connection works before running the job.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:37 AM
  • I have set up a new User Profile Syncronization service, and the connection is importing users. 

In CA > Manage Service Applications > UPS service app > Manage User Profiles, I see all 80 users.  Howerver, the information from the AD is not posted to their profiles.  It is also not in "People and Groups" in SP interface.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Any thoughts on this?  I did get My Sites to load.  Just need to figure out why the information is not feeding into SharePoint from the AD.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Does anyone have any insights?  Central admin shows the correct number of profiles, but itsn't sending any data out or updating profiles.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Hi rc.alex,

Could you please run the job "User Profile Service - User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization" manually, and check if the profiles are updated to SharePoint?

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:41 AM
  • Jinchun,

At your suggestion I did run the job just a moment ago.

CA > Monitoring > Review Job Definitions > User Profile Service - User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization

by clicking on the job and selecting "Run Now".  The job ran with "Successful" status, and 00:00:00 time, and no error recorded.

However, the profiles in SP user interface, nor in CA are updated.

Thanks

Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:14 AM
  • I have the syncronization working to update the information in the users' MySite.  It updates items such as work phone with the new value in AD.  However, the information contained in People and Groups, and "My Settings" from the top-right drop down, both stay with the old information and do not import anything.

So close, but yet not working fully.

Friday, April 8, 2011 7:32 PM
  • i think at this point i can say, double check your steps while creating a user profile service. this is good blogs, http://sharepointgeorge.com/2010/configuring-the-user-profile-service-in-sharepoint-2010/

make sure the App pool accounts having the right permission. Also check the ULS logs for any clue or Event Log.

thanks

Waqas

• Marked as answer by rc.alex Friday, April 29, 2011 3:41 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Ok Actually the information is feeding into Central Administration as that blog shows.  It also feeds into MySites.  It appears that only place the information is not appearing is in People and Groups/MySettings.  This is important because People and Groups will be the foundation of the company's Employee Directory.  So Sync is working properly to MySites, but not pushing over to People and Groups.  Is there a way to update this?
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:51 PM
  • It turns out, apparently People and Groups Does Not update from the profile database that MySites uses.  It only shows the users on the site and will show the information that was in the users' profiles at the time of import.  There is a $1,500 tool you can purchase to replicate the information into People and Groups, but I am in the process of installing a webpart that is available for under $200 that uses the MySites database (which is always updated from the AD via User Profile Service Synchronization). 

Saturday, April 9, 2011 6:20 AM
  • I would like tp have an E-Mail account
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi All,

Am I correct in assuming that User Profile Synchronisation is a pre-requisite for the notification functionality.

I too am getting this "you do not have an email address" error in my farm.

User Profile Synch Service has not been configured in the farm ( and my understanding is that this is not a trivial thing to configure )

Outbound SMTP has been configured so early adopters ( and previous SharePoint users ) are seeing the alerts icon / "alert me" and when they try to configure their alert they get this message.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

cheers,

Counie

SharePoint Farmer in training

• Edited by Counie Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:16 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:13 PM