Couldn't see some databases in the object explorer window of Mangement Studio RRS feed

• Question

• hey guys,
    I have one question. But it is not related with the Reporting Service. I got my computer set up with SQL Server 2005 version yesterday. When I connect to the database engine, I can see only system databases(master,model,msdb and tempdb) under the system database folder. I couldn't see other databases(like pubs,northwind) in the object explorer window of Management Studio. Do you have any idea how to solve this difficulty?

Thanks.

Amde

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi, Amde --

This content will be available in the next version of BOL --

Before you can use SQL Server 2005 samples, you must install them. Installing the samples is a two-step process. Samples are not installed by default and SQL Server Setup does not run the sample installation program for you. First, when running setup, on the Features Component page, select Samples. This will copy the samples installation program to your computer during setup. Second, to run the samples installation program, point to the Start menu, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Documentation and Samples, point to Samples, and click Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Samples. To get the most recent samples, uninstall your current samples, and download and install the latest SQL Server 2005 samples from the Microsoft download Web site. To uninstall the current version of samples, point to the Start menu, point to Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs. Click Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Samples, and then click Remove. To find the most current samples, search http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/   for “SQL Server 2005 Samples and Sample Databases”. Choose the edition that matches your Reporting Services installation.

-- Mary

Friday, March 17, 2006 1:52 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Pubs and northwind are no longer installed by default.
    Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:24 PM
  • How about the other databases like Adventurework db? If you have some idea how to configure the database engine, please let me know.

I appreciate your response.

Amde

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:03 PM
  • Adventureworks is not installed by default either.  Your questions are more appropriately suited for the "SQL Server Tools General" forum.  http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=84&SiteID=1.

An easy test is to simply create a new database, refresh the object explorer, and you should see it there.

I am not certain what the best way to install the sample databases is post-installation.  You should ask that question either in the tools forum or the setup forum (http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=95&SiteID=1).

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:07 PM
  • Thank you for your advise. I will post this question on the appropriate form discussion board.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:50 PM
  • Hi, Amde --

This content will be available in the next version of BOL --

Before you can use SQL Server 2005 samples, you must install them. Installing the samples is a two-step process. Samples are not installed by default and SQL Server Setup does not run the sample installation program for you. First, when running setup, on the Features Component page, select Samples. This will copy the samples installation program to your computer during setup. Second, to run the samples installation program, point to the Start menu, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Documentation and Samples, point to Samples, and click Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Samples. To get the most recent samples, uninstall your current samples, and download and install the latest SQL Server 2005 samples from the Microsoft download Web site. To uninstall the current version of samples, point to the Start menu, point to Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs. Click Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Samples, and then click Remove. To find the most current samples, search http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/   for “SQL Server 2005 Samples and Sample Databases”. Choose the edition that matches your Reporting Services installation.

-- Mary

Friday, March 17, 2006 1:52 AM
    Answerer