Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying to connect to another sql server in my company using the IP address for exmp. : 111.111.1.1\SQL2005 but it show this message:

Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported. it was working well on SQL2000

Please help

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Ziad,

Can you explain what you did exactly ? did you create the following:

1-create alisan name : mysecondserver

2-port: by default empty , you need to specify the port in case you have firewall issue.

3-protocol:   TCP/IP or other..

4-server:   IP\instance_name

NB: to be sure about server name on the second server select @@servername in query window on the second server.

If you still cannot connect , please send me a direct email, you can find it on my site and i will try to discuss it with you.

Tarek Ghazali

SQL Server MVP

http://www.sqlmvp.com

Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:47 PM

All replies

• Have you tried to create an alias in SQL server configuration manager?

Gary

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:15 PM
  • Yes I did and is still not accepting
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 12:48 PM
  • Hi Ziad,

Can you explain what you did exactly ? did you create the following:

1-create alisan name : mysecondserver

2-port: by default empty , you need to specify the port in case you have firewall issue.

3-protocol:   TCP/IP or other..

4-server:   IP\instance_name

NB: to be sure about server name on the second server select @@servername in query window on the second server.

If you still cannot connect , please send me a direct email, you can find it on my site and i will try to discuss it with you.

Tarek Ghazali

SQL Server MVP

http://www.sqlmvp.com

Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:47 PM
  • It has to look like this in SQL Server Configuration Manager:

1) What is returned by hostname or if you have an instance what is returned by @@Servername

2) 1433 unless SQL Server is running on a different port-this is the default so it can be blank

3) TCP/IP

4) the ip address 111.111.111.111 etc. Don't put the instance name here.

You also have to make sure your firewall is open for inbound communication on port 1433 or whatever port SQL Server runs on.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:45 AM
    Answerer