PPTP and L2TP/IPsec VPN support in WP8.1? RRS feed

• Question

• Is PPTP and L2TP/IPSec going to be supported on Windows Phone 8.1? The link to download more VPN clients only links to the Store.

Given that these 2 protocols are quite common and supported in Windows desktop since 7, they should be supported by the OS.

• Edited by Kyosuke Aoki Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:07 PM typos
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:49 PM

All replies

• I am curious as well. I am waiting for this feature for 2 years already, and they offer just Ike. The store is not usefull either as no such clients are available. My only hope is that a 3rd party steps up.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:06 AM
  • I've heard that the third parity clients add support to SSTP vpn, but there is still no support for other vpns.

Those clients are:

• Juniper Networks JunOS Pulse VPN
    • SonicWall MobileConnect VPN
    • F5 Networks VPN
    • Checkpoint Mobile VPN

Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:50 PM
  • I'm really disappointed by this. ALL of my clients have PPTP VPNs configured. Why only IKE and SSL?

-Forjo

Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:55 PM
  • I'm really disappointed by this. ALL of my clients have PPTP VPNs configured. Why only IKE and SSL?

-Forjo

Agreed
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 6:50 PM
  • Agreed.  As much as I love WP8 over Android, the rather sad state of VPN support may well send me back.
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:07 PM
  • I really hope they will at least add support for PPTP (even if it's considered as insecure) and L2TP/IPsec. Most people are waiting since the beginning of Windows Phone for a built-in VPN support and all they get now is IKE. I hate to say it, but for many people the missing VPN feature is a reason not to buy a Windows Phone.
    • Edited by matfu2 Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:45 PM
    Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Hello Folks,

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread.  This forum is for the Windows Phone 8.1 Consumer support area of focus.  I would recommend that you head over to the Windows Phone IT Professional community for additional support.

They can help answer some of the enterprise questions around VPN.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=WindowsPhoneITPro

Thank you,
    Eli A.

Windows Phone Support - Support Delivery Manager

• Marked as answer by Eli A Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Eli A Monday, May 5, 2014 9:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:48 PM
  • what a unhelpful response.  Why do you presume that vpn is purely an enterprise play?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:11 PM
  • L2TP will be supported in a future version of WP8.1. PPTP is not a priority because it is insecure.

David

Friday, May 2, 2014 9:22 PM
  • L2TP
    and
    L2TP with IPSec (L2TP/IPSec)
    ??
    GDR1 or delayed to GDR2 ?

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:03 AM
  • Yet every other mobile OS supports it - including every other version of Windows. It's still in wide use by small businesses for better or worse.

Why does Microsoft keep making these two steps forward, one step back decisions?

I guess WEP will be dropped next...

-Forjo

Monday, June 2, 2014 1:16 AM
  • Hi David,

Its good to hear L2TP will be supported in a future release. Any general ETA on when that will come. This year? I waited 1.5 years for VPN / RDP support on windows 8 phone. Now the feature is there but unusable. My company is a long way off from IKEv2 support. I imagine many other companies are in similar positions.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:57 PM