How do I use full-text indexing in SQL Server Compact RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm new to SQL Server Compact, coming from MySQL and am wondering what is the best stategy to use full-text indexing within SQL Server Compact?

What I need is the fastest way to search through large datasets.

Do I just create specific full-text indices for the columns that I need (like I would do in MySQL), or are the some special techniques for SQL Server Compact, or as part of the .Net environment?

I'm not sure, if it's relevant, but I'm working with version 3.5 inside Visual Studio 2008 using C#.

any help or pointers are greatly appreciated!

thanks a lot...
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SQL Server Compact does not support full-text indexing. You may prefer to use SQL Server Express for using full-text   indexing.

SQL Server Express is free and can be downloaded from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=58CE885D-508B-45C8-9FD3-118EDD8E6FFF&displaylang=en

Thanks & Regards,

Devesh Anand

Monday, December 1, 2008 5:06 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

You suggested to use SQL Server Express (to make use of full-text indexing). 

My development is on Windows CE based mobile device.  Can I install  SQL Server Express in Windows CE?

If not, how to do a full-text search/index in SQL Server Company Edition?

Thanks,
    Mohan

Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:13 PM
  • 1. SQL Server Express can only be deployed on a Desktop machine. You may use SQL Client (installed with SQL Compact SDK) support to connect to a database on SQL Express.

Install:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FCE9ABBF-F807-45D6-A457-AB5615001C8F&displaylang=en

Look int Directory:

%Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Devices\Client\wce500\[Processor]\*.cab files

2. "Full-Text" seach is not avaliable in SQL Compact.

3. What do you mean by "index in SQL Server Company Edition". SQL Compact supports creation of indexes.

Thanks & regards,
    Devesh Anand

Please click Yes, if my post was helpful.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:19 AM
    Answerer