none
Outlook Message size differs for sent and received email RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My test automation needs to verify that when an Outlook message is received in the Inbox it exactly matches the Sent message in Sent Items folder.

I verify that using an MD5 Checksum tool. Now even before I could test my verification code, I noticed that a message ( with or without attachments ) in Sent Items and Inbox differs in it Size by a few hundred or thousand bytes depending on the file size. It doesn't matter what the underlying network type is or whether there is any application acceleration.

Any ideas why Outlook shoves in extra bytes and the size for Sent and Received message differs?

Monday, November 15, 2010 8:16 PM

Answers

• All sorts of extra information has to be in a received message, all the received properties as well as the Internet headers. That's an absolute requirement you have to account for. There's no way the sent and received messages will ever be identical and you should not expect it.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
    Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"neehar" <=?utf-8?B?bmVlaGFy?=> wrote in message news:4a885c61-f3f2-4b4c-8eb6-4c56ffd4dbe5...

Hello,

My test automation needs to verify that when an Outlook message is received in the Inbox it exactly matches the Sent message in Sent Items folder.

I verify that using an MD5 Checksum tool. Now even before I could test my verification code, I noticed that a message ( with or without attachments ) in Sent Items and Inbox differs in it Size by a few hundred or thousand bytes depending on the file size. It doesn't matter what the underlying network type is or whether there is any application acceleration.

Any ideas why Outlook shoves in extra bytes and the size for Sent and Received message differs?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:02 AM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 8:48 PM