Displaying limited number of Greek characters RRS feed

• Question

• User369002269 posted

I am using mySQL. I have separate tables for several languages. When I display the Greek statements I seem to be limited to between 192 and 201 characters. That is not the problem with English, Danish, Dutch, Russian, or Farsi. I am using the same code for each with the only change being which table is opened. (In fact I just took the Dutch code and changed only the name of the table I'm opening to the Greek table and had the same problem.)

The problem is that I've also double checked the statements in the table and they are complete, e.g., some have up to 255 characters.

Any suggestion are welcome. Thanks.

Rick

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:44 PM

All replies

• User369002269 posted

There is definitely a problem somewhere and I do not think it's in the coding since if I put 300+ characters in English in one of the columns within the same table it works fine. At 3 AM this morning I wrote the minimum coding needed. Here it is:
    --------------- 
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" 
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <% 

Response.CharSet = "utf-8" 
    Response.CodePage = 1252 

strConnString = "Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver}; SERVER=localhost;" & "charset=UTF8; DATABASE=????; UID=?????; PASSWORD= ??????; OPTION=3" 

'Create the connection object 
    Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") 
    objConn.Open strConnString 

'Create the recordset object 
    Set objRec = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
    'Build the Demographic_Answers SQL string 
    strSQL = "Select PIP_Statements FROM el_Statements WHERE ID_Statements = 37" 

' Open the recordset using the query built 
    objRec.Open strSQL, objConn 

Response.Write("Statements is " & objRec("PIP_Statements") & "<br><br>") 

%> 

</body> 
    </html>
    <% 
    objConn.Close 
    Set objRec = Nothing 
    Set objConn = Nothing 
    %>
    ---------------------
    The same problem exists.

This morning. I retyped in one of the column 37 (as the testing above was for it).

Here's the column:

Σχεδóν σε óλα óσα κάνω, το φυσικότερο πράγμα για μένα είναι να αναπτυχθεί μία ρουτίνα ή προσωπική τελετουργία-ένα κανονικό σχέδιο δράσης που λειτσμργεί αποτελεσματικά για μένα, και που επιθυμώ να επαναλάβω.

And here's the result when I run the above code:

Σχεδόν σε όλα όσα κάνω, το φυσικότερο πράγμα για μένα είναι να αναπτυχθεί μία ρουτίνα ή προσωπική τελετουργία-ένα κανονικό σχέδιο δράσης που λειτουργεί αποτελεσματικά για μένα, και που επιθυμώ

You will see the "να επαναλάβω." is cut off - and that's happening on each column which is larger than 192 to 201 characters - but ONLY IF THE CHARACTERS ARE GREEK, e.g., not English, Danish, Dutch, Farsi, or Russian.

Strange, strange. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:15 AM
  • User369002269 posted

This has now been determined to be a problem with MySQL and utf-8 encoding. Problems have been found with Greek, Farsi, and Russian. It seems that with a field set for, say 350, characters that it only displays about 200 - even if the field has 342 characters. The solution is to simply increase the size of the MySQL field to 750. A bug report has been reported to MySQL.

Monday, October 4, 2010 10:25 AM