none
Local Data Base Q RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a large data base, a sdf file, 40M with 4 million rows

Whenever the user insert new appointment i am searching this database.

The first time the user opens outlook it takes 1.5 second to search the database and after that

For every next search it is very fast.

i was wondering way is that so? Is it because the data are saved in the heap after the first entry to DB?

And if so, is it a lot of data to keep on the heap from outlook point of view

Tanks

Patric

• Edited by Patrick12_3 Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:08 PM

Answers

• What data your database caches, and for how long, and where is a question for the database vendor.

Outlook asks for additional memory as it needs it, and Windows takes care of managing the memory, both physical and paged to disk.If there isn't enough physical memory for Outlook the database cache might be moved to paged memory, or more Outlook memory may be paged.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Patrick12_3" <=?utf-8?B?UGF0cmljazEyXzM=?=> wrote in message news:4a7f8454-0c8a-4c13-b7ea-9aefe8a8eb69...

Hi,

The first time the user opens outlook it takes 1.5 second to search the database and after that

i was wondering way is that so? Is it because the data are saved in the heap after the first entry to DB?

Tanks

Patric

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:28 PM

All replies

• What data your database caches, and for how long, and where is a question for the database vendor.

Outlook asks for additional memory as it needs it, and Windows takes care of managing the memory, both physical and paged to disk.If there isn't enough physical memory for Outlook the database cache might be moved to paged memory, or more Outlook memory may be paged.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Patrick12_3" <=?utf-8?B?UGF0cmljazEyXzM=?=> wrote in message news:4a7f8454-0c8a-4c13-b7ea-9aefe8a8eb69...

Hi,

Tanks

Patric

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:28 PM
  • so i need not worry yes?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:29 PM
  • I wouldn't worry about it.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Patrick12_3" <=?utf-8?B?UGF0cmljazEyXzM=?=> wrote in message news:fcda581f-c557-468c-ab26-cff87db31d43...

so i need not worry yes?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:32 PM