Best architecture for showing mathematical formula based charts to end user RRS feed

• Question

• User1978758036 posted

Hi All,

We have one new project to implement. Let me explain briefly about this project. This project is related showing chart to end user on the basis of different mathematical calculated formulas.

End user has authority to change these formulas on the fly and on the basis of that changed formula we need to show the chart. So this is all central idea about the project. These charts which I mentioned above are very complicated and user friendly

So can any buddy tell me which is best suitable architecture for this and how can fit her to my scenario .I knows, three tier architecture and some other are there but I want know which is the best architectures that developed above idea in right way

Any helps for above is really appreciate

Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:35 PM

Answers

• User-2004844803 posted

hi,

I would go for building a service oriented archtecture where your services handle the calculations and expose them through WCF. You should be able to make your services to accept a formula (and perhaps any base series) as input and give back a series (or series collection) to feed your chart component. I would also build a simple repository for access off your base series.

Doing this way you can chose to add your calculation engine on any machine or cluster of machines to handle processor intensive calculations. You can chose to call any long time running services asynchroniously through the use of WCF.

I would also like to push for DotNetCharting. Its a great chart engine that we use and are really happy with. Its easy to work with and has a really good API.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 12:36 PM

All replies

• User-2004844803 posted

just some checking before we dig in and get our hands dirty:

1. With chart you meen table och graph?
    2. Does your formulas include heavy calculations?
    3. Are you planing to use some third party toolkits like Math.NET for calculations and formulas or a charting toolkit (like DotNetCharting?

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:15 AM
  • User1978758036 posted

Hi

Thanks a lot for you reply

Here below are answers for your questions

1. It is graphical representation of chart

2. Yes, Mathematical calculation is very complex like having summation, Exponential etc calculation

3. For chart we are using some third party control like [<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Dundas</st1:city></st1:place>, DevExpress etc]. But not for mathematical calculation

Hope I answered your question; please let me know if you want more details on the above

Friday, June 4, 2010 9:16 AM
  • User-2004844803 posted

hi,

I would go for building a service oriented archtecture where your services handle the calculations and expose them through WCF. You should be able to make your services to accept a formula (and perhaps any base series) as input and give back a series (or series collection) to feed your chart component. I would also build a simple repository for access off your base series.

Doing this way you can chose to add your calculation engine on any machine or cluster of machines to handle processor intensive calculations. You can chose to call any long time running services asynchroniously through the use of WCF.

I would also like to push for DotNetCharting. Its a great chart engine that we use and are really happy with. Its easy to work with and has a really good API.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 12:36 PM