Unable to install in windows 7 (64 bit) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

after I run the setup from the program that I create using c#, I received an error as below:-

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
       at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)
       at System.IO.Path.GetFileName(String path)
       at CSCANSurvey.MessageDetector.GetWindowExeName(IntPtr hWnd)
       at CSCANSurvey.MainForm.timer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    This occurs only when I install it in windows 7 (64 Bit) but work ok in windows 7 (32 bit)
    Wondering how to solve this problem.Please anyone if you could help me on this
    Thank you in advanced

zafi
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:13 AM

Answers

• You're assuming the setup did something to break your app, but that's not likely and even it it did you still need to debug your app to see why it broke.

I don't know what CSCAN is but I suspect it may be an interop Dll or some other reference to external code. If your code is MSIL then you may get strange errors because your code will run native 64-bit and cannot call 32-bit Dlls.

Other than that, CSCAN looks broken because it's apparently getting the path to an executable and the .NET FW Path class has detected illegal characters in it. In other words GetWindowExeName returned a file path that did not pass the .NET file name validation. This could be a problem because some code somewhere was not written correctly to run on 64-bit systems. 

Phil Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by Neddy Ren Monday, December 5, 2011 2:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Neddy Ren Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:32 AM
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:16 AM