none
How to repair or restore Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition commenting

Question

• /*<div>...</div>*/

That type of comment string is the only type of comment string my Windows 8.1 Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (VS2015CE) will apply to any type of code in the editor. The context-aware commenting system has become completely FUBAR. This instance of VS2015CE is installed side-by-side with an instance of Visual Studio 2013 Professional (VC2013Pro.)

I learned how to do VS2015CE resets using the Tools menu, then again from the shell and still all VS2015CE will apply are the /*...*/ comment strings. Then I tried a Repair and finally an uninstall and reinstall of VS2015CE and still the FUBAR commenting persists across all attempts to restore the commenting in the editor; different types of code, different projects its all the same.

I also noticed the reinstall fetched project meta data and such. I did not even think about whacking that metadata or know if it matters.

Uninstalling VS2015CE also loads a type of warning advisory page in the browser informing us how to uninstall 3rd Party applications that may have been installed side-by-side with VC2015CE. Nothing itemized on the 3rd party advisory list is installed on the machine. Well, maybe one item like an Android SDK or something related to Android that I do not recall at the moment. Still, I only used VS2015CE for client-side HTML stack and the only way I changed VS2015CE configuration is with custom themes.

So finally is this repairable? How does commenting really work and where are the comment strings fetched from or where are they generated? Perhaps all I might need to do is remap the keyboard shortcuts ctrl-k-c/ctrl-k-u which again only generate /*...*/ comment strings and may have somehow been remapped to that comment string and only that comment string.

Do the keyboard shortcuts call a macro or does the executable listen for them so context-aware comments could be generated by VC2015CE itself.

I don't know. Something has to work don't you think?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Clinton Gallagher,

Do you mean that just "/*...*/" comment string can be recognized in your Visual Studio 2015? Please input "///" or "//" to add comments for your code, what will happen?

Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here. We need to analysis the installation log to make sure whether there has any installation error cause this problem.

In addition, Please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run the installation file as Administrator.
    2. Open Visual Studio as Administrator.
    3. Run Visual Studio 2015 in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    4. Close all third part software, such as antivirus software.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:17 AM
  • Hello WeiWei,

Thank you for helping out.

JavaScript comments (//) can be applied but the /*...*/ comments persist on all HTML no matter how I start VS2015CE.
    The only exception is when I start VS2015CE in Safe Mode when all comments are applied as expected to css, html and js file types.

Here is the link to the vslogs.cab file you requested...
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F6CEB3B4CF3E91B7!11167&authkey=!ANBH8QmeAav-hfk&ithint=file%2czip

If I do not hear anything soon I hope you and all have a nice Thanksgiving Holiday...

Clinton

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:39 PM
  • Hi Clinton Gallagher,

According to the exit code in your installation code, it is not installation correctly. But there has no any error message or failed message.

Please check whether the installation package is well. Please using FCIV.exe to verify hash of the ISO. Any discrepancy would indicate that the file was corrupted. Here is a blog for how to use it, you can refer to it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2011/03/25/verify-the-iso-checksum-for-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-before-installing.aspx

The SHA1 value of Visual Studio Community 2015 (English version) is "BAAD3CEBAB7A5834D8F78F7D02E4880C010F3BA9".

If the installation package is incorrect, please download a new ISO file from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

If the installation package is correct, please try with following steps to reinstall your Visual Studio 2015.

1. Uninstall Visual Studio with command "%Installation package path%\vs_ultimate.exe /uninstall /force".
    2. Using msiinv tool to list all program installed on your computer and then try the /x<product code> to remove that component if it is related to Visual Studio. More information, please refer to this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx
    3. Run the Visual Studio 2015 installation package as Administrator.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, November 26, 2015 2:04 AM
  • Hello Weiwei

Happy Thanksgiving. Today I give thanks for your assistance. :-)

An interesting note: typing into the reply textbox does not work for me using this Windows 8.1 machine. I have to compose in a text editor and past the reply to send to you. Please comment if neccessary.

I installed VS2015CE using the installed .exe that fetches and installs VS2015CE via the WWW. I have used the msiinv.exe tool today and it reports the following...

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
     Product code: {DE064F60-6522-3310-9665-B5E3E78B3638}
     Product state: (5) Installed.
     Assignment: per machine
     Package code: {4CCB2524-FCB2-461B-9530-CF2737B95732}
     Version: 14.0.23107
     Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
     Language: 1033
     Installed from: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{DE064F60-6522-3310-9665-B5E3E78B3638}v14.0.23107\packages\communitycore\Setup\
         Package: vs_communitycore.msi
     Instance type: 0
     Local package: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\e1db5.msi
     Install date: 2015\11\24
     Patch GUID: {832587D6-CF40-4587-B424-57A1276BCC23}
      Transforms: :RTM.3;:#RTM.3
     1 patch package.

Still working on this with tools you referred...

Clinton

Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:10 PM
  • Hi Clinton Gallagher,

Happy Thanksgiving too.

>>JavaScript comments (//) can be applied but the /*...*/ comments persist on all HTML no matter how I start VS2015CE.

After re-reading your origin post and the first reply, I'm a little confused for your problem. Do you mean the comments in HTML editor, not in C# editor? According to your description, the HTML just recognize the /*...*/ comments, is it right?

>>An interesting note: typing into the reply textbox does not work for me using this Windows 8.1 machine. I have to compose in a text editor and past the reply to send to you. Please comment if neccessary.

Please try to change another browser to make sure whether this problem is caused by browser or your Windows 8.1 machine. If all browser on your computer has the same problem, there may be something wrong with your Windows 8.1. So we can't exclude the problem of Windows 8.1.

>>I installed VS2015CE using the installed .exe that fetches and installs VS2015CE via the WWW.

Please make sure the network is connect smoothly when you install VS2015CE. And you can try to install it on another Windows 8.1 computer to check whether the installed.exe can install correct. If it also has the same problem, I suggest you download the ISO file from the link I provided in above reply.

If it works fine on another Windows 8.1 computer, which means the problem is caused by your current Windows 8.1. It need you restore your current Windows 8.1.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, November 27, 2015 1:48 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

To make it clear for you:

• The /*...*/ comments are only in HTML files opened in the VS2015CE text editor.
    • All other comment types in all other file types function correctly.
    I downloaded the ISO file tonight and verified the check sum. Then I used an uninstaller to uninstall VS2015CE. Then I mounted the .iso and reinstalled VS2015CE and the FUBAR commenting problem still persists.

When I have an .html file open in the VS2015CE text editor and try to comment out a line of HTML it will look like this:

/*<div>....</div>*/

Obviously that is not the correct commenting type for HTML because it should be
    <!--<div>...</div>-->

Clinton

Friday, November 27, 2015 3:46 AM
  • Hi Clinton Gallagher,

Do you have tried in another computer and what is the result? We need to know the result to make sure whether this problem related to your Windows 8.1.

In addition, since you have re-install your Visual Studio, please share the new installation log here again.

Please make sure whether you open the HTML file with "HTML Editor(Default)" as below image shows. If not, please set it as the default editor. If yes, please try open HTML files with other Editor to troubleshoot whether this problem causes the HTML Editor.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, November 27, 2015 9:03 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

I am visiting with family and away from machine until tomorrow -Monday 11/30- when I will get right back to working with you. Thank you...

Clinton

Sunday, November 29, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Hi Clinton Gallagher,

I will waiting for your response patient. If any new development and discovery, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, November 30, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

Here's the shortened link to vslogs.zip for the last installation of VS2015CE [1]. As I've noted the last install also continues to generate the wrong type of comment strings on html. I also made sure I've been using the default HTML Editor.

I cannot install VS2015CE to a different Windows 8.1 machine. I only have one other machine and that runs Windows 7. Tonight I am going to try to install Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 on the Windows 8.1 machine where VS2015CE is not working as expected.

You gave me this instruction...

"1.Uninstall Visual Studio with command "%Installation package path%\vs_ultimate.exe /uninstall /force".

The install of VS2015CE is in Program File (x86) and there is only the devenv.exe and there are no /uninstall /force available from the command line.

Clinton

[1] http://1drv.ms/1lqT1yZ

Tuesday, December 01, 2015 12:58 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

I'm in even worse trouble now.

Last night I installed the VS2015 Update 1 and it installed but VS2015CE would not load for any projects or websites.

I tried to uninstall using IObit uninstaller to 'force" an uninstall and it took a lot out of the registry but it did not completely uninstall iVS2015CE. Apparently VS2015CE has been coded to disallow uninstallation as it is writing parts of itself into the file system like a viral worm that cannot be detected.

I repeated and tried to uninstall again and the same result: this product has been coded to install itself like a virus worm that cannot be uninstalled.

I tried to use the iso to install after believing the Update 1 was uninstalled and and it will not install because it says an earlier release is already installed. The Update does not provide an iso so I am now really FUBAR.

I am compelled to accept the fact that Visual Studio has been coded to function like a virus that cannot be uninstalled so a fresh version can be installed but I am not ready to throw the towel in.

What I need is someone to tell me how to REALLY uninstall the software ALL OF IT so I can try one more time to reinstall a clean release of VS2015CE.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Hi Clinton Gallagher,

>>I tried to uninstall using IObit uninstaller to 'force" an uninstall

Visual Studio provides its own installer, which you can use it through Control Panel -> Programs -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Uninstall. I don't think we should use any third part uninstaller to uninstall our program, it may cause some unpredictable problem.

Since the Visual Studio is not complete uninstalled, and when you install again, it says an earlier release is already installed, I suggest you repair your Visual Studio first. Please repair your Visual Studio also through the Control Panel -> Programs -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

If the uninstaller through Control Panel is not work, please try the command to uninstall Visual Studio as below guidance.

>>"1.Uninstall Visual Studio with command "%Installation package path%\vs_ultimate.exe /uninstall /force". The install of VS2015CE is in Program File (x86) and there is only the devenv.exe and there are no /uninstall /force available from the command line.

Please locate to the path where your installer (vs_community.exe) and then run the command of "vs_community /uninstall /force". After uninstalling, please removing Visual Studio components, which you can refer to below blog.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2015/07/17/removing-visual-studio-components-left-behind-after-an-uninstall.aspx

You also can try use msiinv tool which provided in my second reply under this thread.

Since you using a third part uninstaller (IObit uninstaller) on Visual Studio, I don't know what it do with Visual Studio. If all above steps doesn't work, I'm afraid that you need to restore your OS.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 1:38 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

I've finally uninstalled VS2015CE. I did this several times including manually uninstalling a lot of entries in Programs and Features. I then reinstalled VS2015CE.

The only problem the installer reported was it could not install TypeScript. Then I tried to launch VS2015CE and got this error...

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

I searched for info about that error. I downloaded C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 and when I attempted to install I chose the Repair option. The side-by-side error persists.

I used %temp% and got a copy of the log for the latest install.
    I ran sxstrace and tried launching VS2015CE and captured the trace.

The forums only allow posting 6,000 text characters so I have to submit a link to a text file [1] that contains the log and the results of the sxstrace. Maybe you can understand the data and tell me if you think there is anything it tells us about repairing the side-by-side installation error.

[1] http://clintongallagher.com/VS2015CE-trace-and-log.html

Thank you...
    Clinton

Sunday, December 06, 2015 1:22 AM
  • Hi Clinton,

I also couldn't find the setup error in your log, could you share us a simple app using one drive? So I could test it in my side, at least, we could know that it is not related to the project files.

In addition, did you install any other extension tools which was related to the HTML/web app after you installed the default VS? Did you get any setup error message when the VS setup wizard was finished?

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 07, 2015 12:51 PM
  • ... could you share us a simple app using one drive? So I could test it in my side, at least, we could know that it is not related to the project files...

Hello Jack,

I do not understand what you asked me to do with "share us a simple app" so please explain again.

The last VS2015CE installation error I remember was really a notification that there was some type of problem with TypeScript. Before that many others but each instance of a previous installation has been uninstalled. Unless any error or notification were seen in the files I've sent to WeiWei I know of no other error or notification messages other than the reference to TypeScript.

Clinton

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 10:59 PM
  • Hi Clinton,

Sorry for that I didn't descript it clearly, I just want to know that whether it is related to the specific project files, and I didn't find the setup error in the log files, that's the reason why I want to really repro your issue in my side if you could share me a simple sample.

>>The last VS2015CE installation error I remember was really a notification that there was some type of problem with TypeScript.

Do you remember what typescript error message you got before? Where did you get/install the typescript package?

Is it related to the extension tool or others?

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/3e5ba71c-abea-4d00-b81b-a62de3ad3d53

But if a simple HTML web app still has this issue in your side, it is really hard for me to get the solution directly, since I couldn't repro this issue using the same Environment as yours, and it seems that no setup error in your log.

To get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, if possible, you could create connect report for it, you will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

Maybe we could get a better response from the product team members.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Hello Jack,

To review, the problem began when VS2015CE was applying /*...*/ comment strings to HTML source code instead of <!--...--> HTML comment strings. I attempted to repair and uninstall and reinstall several times and the wrong type of comment string in HTML continues to persist.

I then installed VS2015 Update 1 and VS2015 would load but would freeze stating the side-by-side mode was messed up. I do not have the exact side-by-side error message.

My last attempt to repair reports the following errors...

Azure AD Authentication Connected Service
    Package failed.

TypeScript 1.7.4.0 for Visual Studio 2015 Update 1
    The installer failed. Unknown error -2147205120
    Error code: -2147205120

Microsoft Azure Mobile Service Connected Service
    Package failed.

As asked, I have attached a .zip containing a small website being used to learn Sass.
    I logged into Connect and have submitted a bug ID: 2113067 with the title:

/*...*/ comments applied to HTML source instead of <!--...-->

Thank you for your persistance,
    Clinton

Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Hi Clinton,

Thanks for your response. As you already submit one feedback on the Microsoft Connect site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback/Details/2113067

Let's focus on the case on that channel, I think the senior members can provide more professional support.

Sincerely,

Jack

Friday, December 11, 2015 7:30 AM
  • Thank you Wei-Wei and you Jack.
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:08 AM