"Durable" Notification Subscription? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to receive a notification for every created email (inbound or outbound) from given mailboxes, and I have a push notification proof of concept set up and working well.  The issue I have is that if the receiving webservice goes down at all Exchange gives up and unsubscribes.  I need some kind of subscription capability that is "durable" (similar to a durable subscriber in JMS) so that when my service is back online it would receive all the events that it missed.

The alternatives I can think up are ugly.  One would be keeping track of when the service last received events for a given mailbox and grabbing all items since then.  Another is using a journal account (ack) to duplicate all emails on the mailbox store and just accessing/filtering the journal account. 

This seems like something Exchange Web Services would support .... 

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:42 PM

All replies

• I need to be able to receive a notification for every created email (inbound or outbound) from given mailboxes, and I have a push notification proof of concept set up and working well.  The issue I have is that if the receiving webservice goes down at all Exchange gives up and unsubscribes.  I need some kind of subscription capability that is "durable" (similar to a durable subscriber in JMS) so that when my service is back online it would receive all the events that it missed.

The alternatives I can think up are ugly.  One would be keeping track of when the service last received events for a given mailbox and grabbing all items since then.  Another is using a journal account (ack) to duplicate all emails on the mailbox store and just accessing/filtering the journal account. 

This seems like something Exchange Web Services would support .... 

I found that I can use watermarks when I start up the subscription .. hopefully that suffices
    Friday, July 29, 2011 6:28 PM
  • You could also look at the frequency field in the call to PushSubscriptions.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

the Watermark is one possible approach to solve this issue. The other option is to use a combination of push notifications and SyncFolderItems.

Kind regards,
    Henning

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:46 PM