Windows 8 on ARM limited to metro style apps?

General discussion

• I have not read anything about windows 8 support on ARM. I guess only metro style apps or recompiled windows apps will be supported.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:26 AM

All replies

• I'd also like a clarification on this point.  A Microsoftie already commented on the Building Windows 8 blog that x86/x64 binaries will not run on ARM (i.e. no CPU emulation), and that was expected.  But what about the Win32 desktop stack as such?  Is it available in its entirety on ARM devices?  Can we cross-compile any desktop application to run on ARM devices, or are essential APIs missing?  Will ARM devices come with the full .NET 4.5 CLR so that .NET applications will run directly?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Even the ARM is not binary compatible with x86, the API is the same, so it should be enough in most cases to just recompile the source to an ARM binary and it should work.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Which API is the same?  All we know for sure is that Metro exists on all devices.  The availability of the Windows 7 compatibility stack outside of x86 is rather unclear.  Did Microsoft really port GDI to ARM, for example?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:20 AM
  • It looks like ARM development will be using the (new) WinRT. For the developer preview, this functionally limits the ARM development to Metro. What hasn't been (clearly) said if whether WinRT supports (or will support) desktop apps or not.

• Edited by cjstevenson Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:31 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:28 PM
  • It looks like ARM development will be using the (new) WinRT. For the developer preview, this functionally limits the ARM development to Metro. What hasn't been (clearly) said if whether WinRT supports (or will support) desktop apps or not.

Rich Prescott has proposed this as an answer but unfortunately the last sentence doesn't match how the Windows 8 system architecture works.  Look at the overview slide shown in the keynote, reproduced e.g. here:

http://dougseven.com/2011/09/14/i-know-what-youre-thinking-and-youre-wrong/

Desktop apps are clearly never based on the "green" pillar that includes WinRT.  They are based on the "blue" pillar that includes traditional Win32 and the current .NET runtime.  WinRT itself does only Metro apps and nothing else -- that's also reflected in the preliminary WinRT documentation.  So the question is really, how much of the "blue" pillar is available on ARM?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Comparing the number of ARM libs files in Windows 8 developer kit with x64, most of the APIs.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:04 PM
  • >Did Microsoft really port GDI to ARM, for example?

Comparing ARM libs with x64:

Following are included in developer kit: User, Kernel, Gdi, DirectX, Obdc, MSXML,Windows Spooler, etc.

What is NOT in available: ACL, Security, certificate,  device setup( cfgmgr32.lib), audio encoding, bluetooth API, etc.

However it is not clear whether ARM will support Desktop app.

CAT
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:01 PM