Can a "symmetric point" ( in-out handles' lengths always keep same ) revert to an "asymmetric point" ( in-out handles' lengths could be different )??? RRS feed

• Question

• When I am noticing this chapter:

About corners versus curves

I find two instructions for "converting anchor point types" ( the last two, you can find in the linked page):

• When you drag any kind of Bezier node, it extends both handles and becomes a symmetrical point.
    • You can drag a control handle of a symmetrical or smooth point to release the anchor point and then move the handles independently.

But i am really confused with the second saying: how to "drag a control handle"? In my practice the handles are unclickable ----- as means unselectable, in "Convert anchor point mode"

If I am trying to convert a point according to the first instruction listed above : "drag a Bezier node", it indeed "extends both handles and becomes a symmetrical point"; however, it seems never turn back again: the "in-out" handles always change their lengths in the same manner when one is dragged.

Actually, what I need is to recover a "symmetrical smooth point" back to an "asymmetrical smooth" one, say, dragging either handle in a "in-out" pair will not cause the other's length's mirrorlike change, just in the status as the article says :

"After dragging one handle with the Direct Selection tool, the handles are no longer symmetrical, but the point is still smooth"

Hope someone could give some tips on this!

Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:39 AM

All replies

• Try selecting one handle with the Direct Selection or Convert Anchor Point tool and press the Alt key to make asymmetrical.  Note the 'TIP' in your reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc294502(v=expression.40).aspx

~Fred

• Edited by Fred C_ Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:44 PM add link
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Try selecting one handle with the Direct Selection or Convert Anchor Point tool and press the Alt key to make asymmetrical.  Note the 'TIP' in your reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc294502(v=expression.40).aspx

~Fred

FRED, thanks for your reply..  but I am afraid your advise isn't close to my need yet because what i need is "asymmetrical smooth point" not just "asymmetrical point" .  As in the official page tip it just tells how to convert to a "cusp point" whose two handles are entirely irrelevant;  a "smooth" point requires its two handles to keep in same line ( exactly keep same angle ) .   

If we directly add several "bezier node" we may find each node is a "smooth asymmetrical point" , dragging one handle affects another's direction but has no impact on another' lengthy ..   If you make a try you may understand what i am saying. ..

Could anyone give more suggestions on this ?    Thanks !

Monday, April 25, 2011 7:41 AM
  • have you tried pressing the shift key when dragging one handle with the convert pen

not sure it can help you

To create a cusp point with the "in" handle retracted fully and the "out" handle extended

• In the Toolbox, select the Pen tool, click anywhere in the workspace, and then press CTRL+ALT and drag.

To create a cusp point with the two control handles extended but acting independently of each other

1. In the Toolbox, select the Pen tool, click anywhere in the workspace, and then press CTRL+ALT and drag.

2. Press ALT and drag the out handle.

For all anchor points except the starting point, you can hold down the SHIFT key when you click or drag to constrain the new anchor point or its handles to a 45- or 90-degree angle from the previous anchor point.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:02 PM