none
Office COM addins RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to create a COM add-in that would run on all office applications. I have been searching for quite a while, but did not find an answer to my question. I will create the addin using visual studio 2010 where the project type is "extensibility->shared addin". My question is would it be better to create the COM addin using C# or C++/ATL? what are the advantages and disadvantages of both. I want my COM addin to be compatible with multiple office versions. So would that be better accomplished via using C# or C++/ATL...what versions of office would be supported by each of these two languages ?

Thanks a lot,

I would appreciate your prompt reply.

Regards

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Shadow

<<My question is would it be better to create the COM addin using C# or C++/ATL? what are the advantages and disadvantages of both. I want my COM addin to be compatible with multiple office versions.>>

As far as your main concern goes about the COM add-in being able to support multiple Office versions, it doesn't really matter which programming language you choose if you're targeting .Net Framework 4.0 and are planning to embed the Interop types.

You'll probably find more documentation for C# than for C++ (and much more for VBA/VB.NET).

The C++ code will probably be faster in execution than C# as I assume it doesn't run in the .Net Framework and therefore doesn't need to go through the .Net/Com interface and through the PIAs.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:21 PM