none
To Who at Microsoft do I complain about Digital River? RRS feed

• Question

• Apparently EVERY product purchase requires you to re-create your login. What happens to the record of prior purchases, in case I have a problem which requires me to access it? I talked to a couple of mostly-understandable foreign guys in whatever corner of the world Digital River is located, and they gave me two different answers! One said that their system combines the accounts and the records, and the other guy said it didn't, and I have to go to the specific web site for each product in order to access information about the purchase. Does this make sense to anyone? If so, can you explain how? It seems to me that this would be like having to buy spare parts for my car, using different accounts for each different car, even though I'm going to same dealer all the time!

Nothing like making it difficult to purchase a product!

Friday, April 23, 2010 11:26 PM

All replies

• Hi, I've forwarded this to the team that deals with our sales partners to get a comment from them. I'll post back when I hear from them...

Thanks
    Wayne

Saturday, April 24, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Wayne, thanks for doing that. I don't mean to pile on, but let me suggest another issue to check on.

When my employer purchased EW3 through Digital River, the instructions in the final stage of the process told us to uninstall the trial version before installing the "full' version. Thanks to this forum I knew that was incorrect, and I just entered the code to activate it. However, since then we have seen several instances where purchasers have uninstalled as directed and then had product keys rejected. I don't know if they are still giving out this really bad information, but if so it needs to be corrected.

Jim

Saturday, April 24, 2010 1:39 AM
  • It actually isn't bad information in a certain set of circumstances. You are quite correct that you can usually just add the product key, but there are a couple of specific instances where this doesn't work because the trial and full installer are slightly different. To avoid adding a complicated set of instructions about when you should and when you shouldn't, we just took the view to add a blanket "remove and reinstall" instruction to all store transactions. It doesn't affect anything about the install, you don't lose any settings from the trial, but it's just a clean mechanism to follow. And it provides a break to get a cup of tea or coffee too, for which we don't charge anything :-)
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Wayne, I suppose that makes perfect sense for people who purchase a DVD for installation. However, for the many who, like my employer, simply purchase the product code, how is it relevant? What possible reason would there be to uninstall the trial version when one would then need to attempt to reinstall from the download, only to be told that the trial had expired? And when you clearly do not have a "full" version to install (as indicated by only buying the product code), simple deduction would indicate that there is not going to be a conflict with the trial version. How hard would it be to give different instructions to customers who don't buy a DVD? 

This issue does crop up here at times, it is a problem, and it does reflect poorly on both Digital River and Microsoft. And, it doesn't help the matter when frustrated customers call MS tech support and are quoted a steep price to get answers that should be free, for a problem that shouldn't exist.

Believe me, I'm not trying to be belligerent. I love the product and use it frequently. This issue just boggles my mind though; it seems so obviously messed up, and so easily corrected. MS should do better.

Okay, I'm stepping down from the soapbox now...

Jim

Saturday, April 24, 2010 4:40 AM
  • "It actually isn't bad information in a certain set of circumstances."
    There are quite a few posts in this forum from people who had a working trial, yet, when they uninstalled it before trying to install the full version (as instructed by Digital River, or just because they assumed they needed to), could not sucessfully install the product.  In other words, something is fishy about the uninstall for a non-trivial number of people.
    Given that, it's far better to tell Digital River to correct the instructions.
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 4:42 AM
  • So Digital River have responded to us that this should not in fact be the case and therefore there must be some specific issue at play here. They obviously cannot provide an answer without knowing your details, so to help them fully understand your particular issue, we advise you to contact Digital River directly using this web form: https://msstore.digitalriver.com/msevs-us/contactus.aspx. As I say, they have been alerted to this issue and are happy to walk you through a resolution.

Best regards,

Wayne

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:35 PM
  • "So Digital River have responded to us that this should not in fact be the case"

Since there are two separate issues in this thread, it would be helpful if you clarified.  Are you talking about the multiple login issue the first poster discussed?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:57 PM