none
Search across Adjacent Sites NOT working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Hope someone can help.

I have set up the search function in my SharePoint 2016 Enterprise on Premise.

I presently have 1 site collection which has 2 sites and each of these sites have 2 subsites each.

There are on average 2 to 4 Libraries in each subsites.

(See image)

Within a site (lets say Site 01), if I'm in subsite 01 and search for a document that is in subsite 02, I get the result.

If I'm at the Site Collection level and do a search, I get the result.

The issue is if I'm in subsite 01 in site 91 and I'm searching for a document that is in subsite 02 in site 02, I DON'T get a result. It says it can't find the document.

Anyone know what I've done wrong?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 6:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Next1On,

If you use the default search in the site, it only returns the results from the current site. Because the default search defines the result source. The result source is defined from the current site.

You could check the result source in the site. Go to site settings->search->result source.

If you want to search across the sites, you could create the page and add the search box web part and search result web part.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Next1On,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2016 environment, I set up the same site structure as yours.

Then if I search in the subsite01 in the site01, I cannot search the document in the subsit02 in the site02 by using the default search.

Then I create a page and add the search box web part and search result web part, then I can search the document in the subsit02 in the site02 if I search in the subsite01 in the site01.

The result as below:

After all, you could create a page and add the search box web part and search result web part to search.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, February 8, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am fairly new at this whole Sharepoint thing.

Not sure I understand when you say create a page.

Is there a link where i can see how to create this page to add the search box web part and search result web part?

Thanks Again.

• Edited by Next1On Friday, February 8, 2019 1:03 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi All.

Besides creating a new page, is there a way to do this with "crawling" feature?

Thanks.

Monday, February 11, 2019 7:12 PM
  • Please try the following and let us know what you find:

1. Navigate to the subsite that does display search results from other subsites
    2. Go: Settings > Site Settings
    3. Look for: Search group and then click on Search and offline availability
    4. Is the "Allow this site to appear in search results?" setting "yes" or "no"?
    5. Check this setting for other subsites

Also, try this:

1. Go: Settings > Site Settings
    2. Look for Search Settings
    3. Is the option, Use the same results page settings as my parent, checked?
    Monday, February 11, 2019 8:18 PM
  • Hi Next1On,    

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:50 AM
  • HI Stephan,

Thanks for your help.

I checked both, "Allow this site to appear in search results" and "Use the same results page settings as my parent" are both turned ON.

Still not working.

• Edited by Next1On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 8:54 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:40 PM
  • Hi Next1On,

If you use the default search in the site, it only returns the results from the current site. Because the default search defines the result source. The result source is defined from the current site.

You could check the result source in the site. Go to site settings->search->result source.

If you want to search across the sites, you could create the page and add the search box web part and search result web part.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:46 AM
  • Hi Next1On,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, February 15, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Hi Sara,

So the only way to be able to search across sites in SharePoint 2013 or 2016 is by creating this "Page"?

Thanks,

Albert

Friday, February 15, 2019 4:39 PM