VS Express 2012 for Windows8 not working on Local Machine Mode RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Windows 8.1 and it seems to have messed something up in VSE 2012 for Windows. 

I can open and edit a program but when I try to run it it doesn't behave properly. When I mouse over a button or text box they just disappear. No click events seem to work. When I switch to simulator mode it works just fine. I want to be able to run in local machine mode.

Saturday, December 7, 2013 5:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In generally, the Windows 8 app can run in windows 8.1.

You can see the link below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn263114.aspx

You can repairing your VS to test whether the problem can occur!

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by Anne Jing Friday, December 20, 2013 5:52 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by Anne Jing Friday, December 20, 2013 5:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If it works in the simulator it should work on the local machine. The only thing I can think of is maybe the layout issue in the local machine mode. For example, if the other control covered the button, the button click event would not fire.

You can run other projects or create a new project to test whether the problem can occur.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, December 9, 2013 3:23 AM
  • It seems to have the same problem no matter what program I try. Even if I put just a single button on the page, in local machine mode it will disappear when the mouse goes over it and never reappear. When I run the same solution on another computer with visual studio express 2012 it works! The only difference is that the second computer is running windows 8 rather than 8.1. (Which makes me not want to update that one!)

I read somewhere about apps targeting the different versions of windows. Could the issue be there? Could it be trying to run a windows 8 program in a windows 8.1 environment? Would this even make a difference. How do you even select which OS is targeted?

I hope this additional information helps pinpoint the problem.

I have already tried repairing the installation, reinstalling it, including the update for VSE 2012. The Desktop version seems to run just fine in either mode.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Hi,

In generally, the Windows 8 app can run in windows 8.1.

You can see the link below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn263114.aspx

You can repairing your VS to test whether the problem can occur!

Best Wishes!

• Edited by Anne Jing Friday, December 20, 2013 5:52 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by Anne Jing Friday, December 20, 2013 5:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:39 AM