weekly newsletter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question about alerts and the best way to use it.

What we want is something like this:
    We have a list with a choice column and 4 options. Now we would like to have a weekly newsletter/alert where the items are grouped by category and ordered by date.

I already searched and found solutions like exporting to excel and creating a new list, but this is not the best solution because:
    1. After the export to excel, we lose information. We have a column with text and hyperlinks and there we lose the hyperlinks.
    2. If you order your excel and you copy paste it in a list with datasheet view. Sometimes I get errors and the item can't be added. And if all items are added, the order isn't the same as in my excel...

So what is the best way to have a newletter like this?

Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:21 AM

Answers

• Has Pieter suggested you have to go with custom development, another option would be to create timer job and schedule it to run weekly. In the timer job you can have a CAML query Group by Category and order by Modified or Created accordingly.

Hope this helps

FYI http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/403323/SharePoint-2010-Create-Custom-Timer-Jobs

Raghavendra Shanbhag | Blog: www.SharePointColumn.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer " if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

• Proposed as answer by Ravin Singh Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:54 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Endeka,

You can use the built in functionality in SharePoint.

Setup an alert to send an alert once a week for all new items added to the list. You can go further to send it based on views as well.

Regards
    Pieter
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Hi Pieter,

tnx for the reply, but just a weekly alert is not the solution. Because then you receive all the items in the creation order. I want that the items in the alert are ordered by category.

An example, you have this list:
    item 1 - category 1 - creation date/time 19/03/2013 9:35
    item 2 - category 2 - creation date/time 20/03/2013 10:00
    item 3 - category 1 - creation date/time 21/03/2013 7:15
    item 4 - category 1 - creation date/time 21/03/2013 8:25
    item 5 - category 2 - creation date/time 22/03/2013 11:25

Then you reveive an alert like this:
    item 1
    item 2
    item 3
    item 4
    item 5

But I want it like this (ordered by category):
    item 1
    item 3
    item 4
    item 2
    item 5

Friday, March 22, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Hi Endeka,

I am afraid you will have to use some custom development on this one. An approach to follow would be to create a State Machine workflow which runs once a week, uses linq to query the list for the weekly items and sort it the way you want.

You can also add it to a xsl file to allow opening in excel by default.

Regards
    Pieter
    Friday, March 22, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Has Pieter suggested you have to go with custom development, another option would be to create timer job and schedule it to run weekly. In the timer job you can have a CAML query Group by Category and order by Modified or Created accordingly.

Hope this helps

FYI http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/403323/SharePoint-2010-Create-Custom-Timer-Jobs

Raghavendra Shanbhag | Blog: www.SharePointColumn.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer " if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

• Proposed as answer by Ravin Singh Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:54 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 6:18 PM