CSS Friendly Adapters and .NET 3.5? Is it possible? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1082535009 posted

Hi,

I'm using ASP.NET 2.0 CSS Friendly Control Adapters from CodePlex. I know adapters work properly under framework 2.0, but I'm building my project under Visual Studio 2008 (framework 3.5), so there are some incompatibilities.

I can't get the Menu Control Adapters working properly (they are shown as <table> elements, but not as <div> elements). 

Did anyone get this working? Is there anyone working on it? Can anyone help me?

I need to get this working as soon as possible, and my knowledge isn't powerful enough to improve the CSSFriendly library. 

Thanks in advantage [;)]. 

NOTE: I'm using the 11160 build, the lastest one until today.

NOTE 2: Sorry about my english. 

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:43 AM

All replies

• User300685930 posted

I downloaded what was in codeplex about 2 weeks ago and have the menu control working no problem.

Here is the site that uses it.  I did force it to use <table> but it was using  <li> by default originally.

http://www.siliconvalley-codecamp.com/Default.aspx

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:50 AM
  • User1549770290 posted

Hi Peter,

Why would someone want to force it to use a table?

Just curious as that doesn't make sense to me, I thought the point of the library, as I understand it, is to render tags that load faster and use valid css.

I am just curious, I am sure you have a good reason. It is cool to know it is working with 3.5 since I haven't tried that yet.

Regards

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:47 PM
  • User-1082535009 posted

Thanks for support. I've finally solved the problem. There was a small (personal) problem with my .browser file.

It works perfectly on ASP.NET 3.5 with codeple'x cssfiendly 11160. Don't forget to try those fantastic adapters.

Regards,

ADX

Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:39 AM
  • User300685930 posted

it was a browser compat issue that lead us to this.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:10 PM
  • User65893105 posted

what exactly do you mean

'codeplex's cssFriendly 11160'

Im using .net 3.5 and have downloaded 1.0 production.  Ive installed all the adapter files, (in app_code/adapters)  but when I put

using CSSFriendly;

in my codebehind, I get an error

'the type or namespace cssfriendly coud not be found'

Are the 1.0 production files up to date ?  I cant find the vsi files or the example project.  The download is just a cut down project not the web site project.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:44 PM
  • User1549770290 posted

On codeplex download the latest change set that is what 11160 means it is a changeset number.

http://www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:02 PM
  • User65893105 posted

so this is the very latest version ? 

Ive downloaded it and unzipped it, I notice that there is no IEMenu7.css file, yet on Sctott Guthries blog, he shows an IE7 version.  Is this his own version or is it available somewhere ?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:16 PM
  • User1549770290 posted

If you downloaded 16291 then that would be the latest that I know of. If I recall correctly the CSS and JavaScript are now embedded in the library.

I don't remember a CSS file for IE7 just one for IE6.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:26 PM
  • User-1082535009 posted

I'm not sure but I think that the IE6 css file contain certain hacks to correctly show up menus. IE7 doesn't need any external stylesheet.

Another thing...

Does anyone know whether CSSFriendly is compatible with MVC.NET or not compatible?

Thanks in advantage. 

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:08 PM
  • User-581178909 posted

Up till recently I have coding in VB.Net and using the old CSS Adapters (.vb files and jscript). Changing over to3.5 & C# (it's where all the money is going[8-|]) I obviously can't use the VB adapters hence downloading the newer DLL adapter setup.

I too am having problems with the MenuControl:

It's rendering as <div><ul><li> fine. But...

No matter how I set the MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels and StaticDisplayLevels or the Orientation it automatically inserts some CSS at the top of the page which effectivley turns it into a drop down menu.  Because these CSS styles are embedded on the page they will override any I try to create using stylesheets and/or themes.

Is there a way to "turn off" this automatic CSS insertion so I can create my own style?

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:43 AM
  • User65893105 posted

Ive now added all the various c# classes to my project and referenced the CSSFriendly.dll.

After putting a datalist on a page, running it, then viewing the source, the datalist is still being rendered as a table.

Do I have to somehow 'switch on' the control adapters ?  Is this performed in code ?

Friday, November 14, 2008 10:00 AM
  • User-581178909 posted

Is there a way to "turn off" this automatic CSS insertion so I can create my own style?

I do believe I have found the answer to my own question.  On downloading the source code I've noticed .css files for each adapter. I am assuming(dangerous thing to do) that if I remove the styles from these sheets and then compile the .dll I should get the effect I'm looking for.

I'll report back....

UPDATE:

Yup!

I commented out all the styles in the Menu.css file then recompiled the DLL.  The menu control now renders as bare <ul><li><a> html with no embedded styles.

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:36 AM
  • User65893105 posted

can anyone tell me whats happened to the vsi file for the control adapters

this page used to have a link to a vsi download that installed the sample website, now it just links to codeplex to download the control adapters source code with a few examples

http://www.asp.net/CssAdapters/default.aspx

where can i find css examples for the login controls ?

The vsi file installed a copy of the actual website, with lots of stying examples, it seems to have disappeared !

Thursday, June 4, 2009 6:03 AM