Using another computer to open the sites i have created on Microsoft expression 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a website on Microsoft expression web 4 years ago and it has worked well. Now the computer I used is not working so I need to understand how to access the site by using a diferent one.
    Friday, February 24, 2017 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi, Sherman. Not a problem at all, presuming that you have EW installed on the other computer. You will need to create a local (empty) site, using "Site|New Site...". Browse to the folder that you want to use to host the site locally. Name the site whatever you want, then click OK, then use "Site|Open Site..." to open the site. Click the "Site View" tab, then the "Publishing" tab (bottom), then "Create a new publishing destination." The dialog below will open:

The "Name" field can be whatever you want. The key items that you must have correct are the "Location" (FTP address), "Directory" (folder on the server, very important!), "User name," and "Password." If you have not recorded them somewhere, and cannot get them off the original computer, you will need to call your hosting provider's tech support to get them.

Once you have it completed, click "Add," then click "Connect to current publishing destination." Once you have connected, you will see the contents of your site on the server on the right hand side, and your empty local folder on the left hand side. Highlight all of the content on the right and click the blue left-pointing arrow in the middle to publish the files down to your local machine.

From now on, you can simply use "Site|Open Site..." to open the local site and work on it. After thoroughly testing your edits locally in the major browsers (IE, Edge if OS-appropriate [on Win 10], Firefox, Chrome, and perhaps Safari), you can use "Site|Publish changed files..." to automatically publish only those files which have been edited. EW4 finally gets site management and FTP right, and will do a great job keeping track of your site changes.

If you don't have EW installed on the other machine, you can download the latest, last, free version at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179. Good luck!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Friday, February 24, 2017 10:19 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 10:01 PM