How to add SuSE support to an own Linux image RRS feed

• Question

• If I want to run a SLES Server in Azure I can use the "Standard" or "Premium" Image from the Azure Gallery.
    Both include updates from SuSE and the Premium additionally includes Support from SuSE.

Is it possible to upload an own SuSE Image to Azure, build VMs with this image and add the SuSE Support option to this VM?

If yes, how does this work?

Cheers

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Dobx;

Thank you for the update.

The way forward would be to get in touch with the SUSE Support as this is a custom image and the support boundary for Microsoft Azure is limited to its platform and its services.  

Regards;

Prasant

Monday, May 4, 2015 4:03 AM

All replies

• You can do it.

1. First prepare the SUSE image on-prem (Prepare a VHD)
    2. Upload the VHD to Azure (Use Add-AzureVHD powershell command Look HERE)
    3. Create an Image form this VHD (Look at Step 5 here)

Regards, Samir Farhat Infrastructure and Virtualization Consultant || Virtualization, Cloud, Azure ? Follow and Ask here https://buildwindows.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Hi DobX,

SUSE Studio supports building and deploying system images to Windows Azure. However, I see that there are some limitations on the images that can be run in Azure’s infrastructure:

• Only x86-64 kernels are compatible
    • Terminal access only; no GUI support

As a result, you can only use a subset of Studio’s templates to create a new appliance. The Azure format is available for the following templates:

• SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2 or newer, 64-bit, JeOS or Server
    • openSUSE 12.3 or newer, 64-bit, JeOS or Server

Windows Azure also has basic images available natively. The images published to Azure’s internal Gallery and available in SUSE’s Gallery; these are an ideal foundation to build your custom Studio appliance.

Reference : prepare a SLES or openSUSE Virtual Machine for Azure

Feel free to write back if this doesn't answer your query.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Thanks for describing how to upload a VHD to Azure.

The question is: "How can I add the SuSE Support option to my Image", that I would get with the Premium Image from the Gallery.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

OpenSUSE support seems to be limited to community support only. Please check this document which talks about support for Linux images in Microsoft Azure.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:06 AM
  • Maybe my description was not clear enough.

1.) I build VM with SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) on premises.

2.) I upload the image to Azure and create a Azure VM out of it.

Now I want to add the SuSE Support Option, which I would get if I take the SuSE Linus Enterprise Server Premium Image from the Gallery, to my "self made" SLES VM in Azure.

Is this possible and how? 

Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:23 AM
  • Hi Dobx;

Thank you for the update.

The way forward would be to get in touch with the SUSE Support as this is a custom image and the support boundary for Microsoft Azure is limited to its platform and its services.  

Regards;

Prasant

Monday, May 4, 2015 4:03 AM