Cannot run aspnet_regiis -i on Win 8 home RRS feed

• Question

• User-1034268908 posted

I'm not getting the aspx mappings in IIS that should show up because aspnet_regiis can't be run.  I've run the exe file by browsing in windows to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64, right clicking it and running it.  Something happens, yes but the mappings never show up in IIS.

If I try to run this on a command line, I get the error that elevation is needed.  Well, by default since I'm the only user on the machine I'm an admin.

Related point is, I had to give myself full control over LM Hosts to make edits to it and the same with the application config file in order to set handlers and modules attributes from "Deny" to "Allow".  It's like the Windows 8 setup didn't fully set me up as an admin.

OK, if I try to do the same thing on the framework folders, for obvious reasons and in so many words I'm told to take a hike. Cool  Well, I'm glad Windows does that with the folders in this path and I won't try further.

It looks like the exe files will run but by default won't modify the IIS metabase?  I've made sure all IIS options are selected and installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:01 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

I think that the problem is that I cancelled a download whilst it was taking place.

I’m not sure whether it is the root of your problem,

But I think you could have a try uninstall VWD first, and re-install it again, it will be helpful to fix the installation issues.

hope it helps you,

With regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:02 PM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi Mike

mdurthaler

If I try to run this on a command line, I get the error that elevation is needed.

I wonder whether you run as administrator, you could follow the steps to run as administrator in Windows 8. First press “Win+F”, you will enter search screen, input” command prompt” in search screen, and right click “command prompt”, and then choose “run as administrator”.

mdurthaler

It looks like the exe files will run but by default won't modify the IIS metabase? 

IIS metabase exists in IIS 6, but it doesn't exist in IIS 7 and IIS 8.

hope it helps you,

With regards

Friday, March 8, 2013 1:25 AM
  • User-1724001509 posted

Thank you.

The laptop I am having trouble with is running Win 8, my desktop where VWD 2010 Express is working perfectly is Win 7.

I think that the problem is that I cancelled a download whilst it was taking place.

Any thoughts on how to remove partially installed components of VWD?

Sunday, March 10, 2013 12:01 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

I’m not sure whether it is the root of your problem,

But I think you could have a try uninstall VWD first, and re-install it again, it will be helpful to fix the installation issues.

hope it helps you,

With regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:02 PM