DataReader vs DataSet, TableAdapter, Binding Source and so on... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i've created a RSS Reader application with the help of the tutorial's videos from Microsoft Visual C# Express' website. I'm a little bit confused using DataSet, TableAdapter and so on, so I've decided to rewrite the whole application using dataReaders. I come from the Web developing world (ASP.NET and PHP), so i found myself much more comfortable using dataReader.
    My question is: is my way a bad way? Should I start to understand DataSet since it's the correct or better way, or is my way simply a different way, not better or worse than the other?
    Thanks in advance!
    Friday, August 18, 2006 10:43 PM

Answers

• take a look at this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=647279&SiteID=1

hopefully itll give you a good enough understanding.

DataSet is ideal if you need to bind data to a UI control for example and modify entries, add new entries etc... and perform local searches on the data instead of calling SQL all the time - kind of like a local copy of data which is ideal since calling to SQL can be expensive.

DataSets hold more information, such as not just the data itself but, the data type, schema information etc...

DataReader is fast but a forward only reader, so you can loop through the results held in the "buffer" and do whatever you want with those values.

DataSets will be a little but slower when filling them but are ideal for serious/average data handling/editing.

It really depends on your application requirements, the purpose of your application and how you are going to be handling data

hope it helps!

Friday, August 18, 2006 11:24 PM

All replies

• take a look at this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=647279&SiteID=1

hopefully itll give you a good enough understanding.

DataSet is ideal if you need to bind data to a UI control for example and modify entries, add new entries etc... and perform local searches on the data instead of calling SQL all the time - kind of like a local copy of data which is ideal since calling to SQL can be expensive.

DataSets hold more information, such as not just the data itself but, the data type, schema information etc...

DataReader is fast but a forward only reader, so you can loop through the results held in the "buffer" and do whatever you want with those values.

DataSets will be a little but slower when filling them but are ideal for serious/average data handling/editing.

It really depends on your application requirements, the purpose of your application and how you are going to be handling data

hope it helps!

Friday, August 18, 2006 11:24 PM
  • Thanks very much for the explanation! I'll try to learn more about dataSet in the future, then... Thanks!
    Friday, August 18, 2006 11:27 PM
  • no worries, glad I could help :-)

Again, it depends on your application requirements ;-)

Friday, August 18, 2006 11:47 PM