Not working in IE6 or 7 RRS feed

• Question

• User-1294538205 posted

Yes, I have the browser specific IE6 css file. All it succeeded in doing was making the menus disappear completely. If I don't include the file, they show up, but the dynamic menus don't appear when you mouse over.

In IE7 they pop up, but when you move off the Static menu to the dynamic, they disappear before you can actually click anything.

I've been trying to get this to work for literally 2 solid weeks now. I've got more errors with cssfriendly than without. And nothing works. Posting here is my last resort before I decide that the nonadapted menus are a quicker, easier, more compliant solution...

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:31 PM

All replies

• User-1294538205 posted

Not a single person can be even a slight bit of help here? I've spent 3 solid weeks trying to get this to work in IE6 and nothing. There's nothing on the forums that's any help. I've tried every version I can find. I've looked at code on other pages that work in IE6 and they're not help either.

It seems every example I find is in some other version than what we have to DL here. They all reference import.css which doesn't exist in the source here. They all use a .vsi file that doesn't exist in the source here either. 

The conditional ie6 css file does more harm than good. 1% height just makes the menus disappear completely. I've tried manually linking in the js files. I've tried different versions of the .js files from websites that work. I've tried the css files from sites that work. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of. Nothing works. Absolutely nothing.

Surely someone who knows what they're doing still reads this forum? Or has this project simply been abandoned?

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:17 PM
  • User1201438065 posted

I've been trying to get help on my issue that you can see there at the top of the forum, and have not really gotten any responses either.  IE (including IE7) is not a CSS compliant browser.  They've done some things to improve CSS compliance in IE7, but it definitely does not match up to Firefox or Opera.  My site even works properly in the new Google browser for christs sake!  My issue is not the same as yours.  My website has an asp:Menu control that is SQL database driven.  It worked fine without the control adapter, but you know clients, they're never happy.  I vamped up the appearance of the menu using the control adapter, which worked beautifully in Firefox, but the second I went to test it in IE, it looked like a jumbled mess.  All my horizontal menu items stacked on top of each other, and pop outs went to the right.  I'm a professional web developer now, and I've been spending the better part of two weeks banging my head against the wall trying to solve this.  The best advice I can give you is to use two condtitional statements, and use two separate conditional stylesheets.  I have one set up for IE 7 and IE 6.  My problem is that I want the menu to scale as you move the page in and out, which works beautifully in Firefox, but IE does not support display:table or display:table-cell, so it just defaults to Block, and the items wrap around on top of each other, and that's where I am at the moment.  I'll definitely let you know if I shed some light on this situation, and you should do the same.  Good luck!

Thursday, September 4, 2008 9:18 AM
  • User-1294538205 posted

The CSS adapter should be making it rendor as UL not table, so I'm not sure why the table-cell would apply.

I've got the conditional statements in for IE6 and IE7. But they're not working. My IE7 problem I got solved by removing the padding between the popout menu and the static. It looks terrible, but it works. (which is why its only done in IE7). IE6 however won't pop up the menu at all. And I've seen sites where it works, so I know its possible. The 1% height !important tag which is supposed to fix it just makes them disappear completely...

Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:40 AM
  • User1201438065 posted

I believe what you need is Whatever:hover.  IE6, by default, does not support :hover (stupid, right?).  You have to add it.  Give this a try: http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/csshover.html

Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:20 PM
  • User-1294538205 posted

That's gotten something to pop up. So while it's not a 100% fix, it's a starting point I can work from. Thanks.

What I don't get, though, as that some people's pages are working without this code. They're doing it with just CSS. And they've explicitly stated that they're not using any JS to do it.

So while this works, I'd like to know the "real" answer. Especially since I'm likely to use this same code on many projects in the future. I hate to copy a hack solution into a project template.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:53 PM
  • User1201438065 posted

Yea, I've seen a lot of sites claim that they got hover to work in IE6 without any Javascript, but I'm not exactly sure how they do it.  The best advice I can give you there is to look at their CSS and the Page Source, and try and discern for yourself what is actually going on.  Personally, I don't test any of my pages in IE6, as it is being phased out by IE7 anyway.  It's enough of a pain to try and get a site working properly in IE7 as it does in standards compliant browsers.  While at the moment IE is technically used by the most people, I see this changing in the future. 

Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:17 PM
  • User-1294538205 posted

Problem is IE6 was the preinstalled browser on most PC's. And a lot of people never change that. I know that the clients I'm writing for almost always are viewing it in IE6. So no matter how good if looks in FF, the people paying the bills will see the IE6 version.

I tried looking at how those pages were doing it. What works for them doesn't for me for some reason... again, it seems to be a different version of the adapter. And there doesn't seem to be any experts here, just you and I.

This script has them popping up in IE6, but instead of all cascading down, they're cascading right once they pop. And then wrapping down once they hit the right edge. It's very odd.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:24 PM
  • User-1385398420 posted

What version of the CSS adapters are you using? (i.e. a version from CodePlex or the version from www.asp.net/cssadapters)?

Also note that IE6 also requires JavaScript -- is this being added to your pages?

Something that may also be helpful is if you post the HTML being sent to the browser so we can see what the ASPX page is generating.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:37 PM
  • User-1294538205 posted

The asp.net page doesn't seem to exist. I'm pretty sure I got it from codeplex. I'd gotten the last full release initially, and then changed to the latest update version. Neither work in IE6.

I googled for javascript programs that fix IE6 hover issues and found one that fixed it for me.  When I have a chance I will disable that script and post what the cssfriendly adapter alone is returning under IE6.

Another issue I'm having with IE is that it seems to not render elements that are empty and transparent. That's what was causing the menus to close when moving from the static to the dynamic. I colored the UL that goes between them the same color as my static menu background and it fixed it. But its not an ideal fix, and still causes some problems (and may not work on future applications)

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:59 PM
  • User-1385398420 posted

Can you do this...

1) Open the page that renders your menu using IE6.

2) Right click - View Source.

3) Paste the generated source in a message so we can see what's going on.

Better yet, if it's a public-facing web site, or if you can put something up somewhere that we can see it, we can investigate further that way.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:39 PM
  • User-1294538205 posted

I'm currently developing this page, so it may change or periodically not work depending on what I'm doing. But this is where it can currently be accessed.

http://grafrepetti.hlddev.com

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:42 PM
  • User-1385398420 posted

One thing I can see that is wrong is that your web server is not answering WebResource.axd files.

In your generated source:

<link href="/WebResource.axd?d=xc7tkxVd0lmejVhLYkSCchilOKjZhXz9axqNNZSAIHJtsL2-zyX0tBpRypYjBGha0&t=633559497132656250" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
    Try to go to that URL, and you get a 404 error. Is the .axd extension registered with IIS properly?
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:59 PM
  • User-1294538205 posted

I don't know and I don't know how to check. The IIS server is in house and I have physical access to it, so I could check if I knew how.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:19 PM
  • User-1385398420 posted

You probably should have the .Net framework re-registered with IIS. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k6h9cz8h(VS.80).aspx

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:34 PM
  • User-1076705603 posted

I've yet to test anything with IE6, but this may answer or be your fix for IE7.  Please look at my post here to my very question.

http://forums.asp.net/p/1331167/2676039.aspx

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:52 PM