SQL Server User Login Restrict to Particular Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have created user login called "login1". There are two databases on Servers "MYDB1" and "MYDB2". I want user "login1" to access only database "MYDB1" , but not "MYDB2" (So if "login1" use "use MYDB2" command on sqlcmd it should give error").

Currently under Login Properties->User Mapping for "login1" has only database checked is "MYDB1". I have also under "Securable->View any Database" "Deny" options is checked.

But even though after all these settings "login1" can access the database "MYDB2" (Yes it can't access the objects in the database). BTW I am using "Application Role" in my application so "guest" account is enable on both databases so I can create view in one database based on data in other database. So I don't have option to turn off guest account. So am I still missing any settings so "login1" can't access the "MYDB2" (e.g. "use MYDB2" should give error)?

thanks

Drew

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:56 PM

Answers

• >However, did you try to create a user for the login in MYDB2 and in there do DENY CONNECT TO <username>?

Yes, this works.

use master
    drop database mydb1
    drop database mydb2
    drop login login1

go
    create database mydb1
    create database mydb2

create login login1 with password = 'P@ssword'
    go
    use mydb1
    create user login1 for login login1 

go

use mydb2
    grant connect to guest
    deny connect to login1
    go
    use mydb1

execute as login='login1'
     use mydb2 --fails
    revert 

Note that login1 will not be able to access any objects in mydb2, even via cross-database ownership chains.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:13 PM

All replies

• As you probably realized, "guest" enabled is the reason why the login in question can access the database. I can't comment on whether enabling guest is the only way to handle the view accessing data in a different database issue, I'll leave that to other to comment on.

However, did you try to create a user for the login in MYDB2 and in there do DENY CONNECT TO <username>? I haven't tested this myself, but perhaps worth a shot?

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:48 PM
  • >However, did you try to create a user for the login in MYDB2 and in there do DENY CONNECT TO <username>?

Yes, this works.

use master
    drop database mydb1
    drop database mydb2
    drop login login1

go
    create database mydb1
    create database mydb2

create login login1 with password = 'P@ssword'
    go
    use mydb1

go

use mydb2
    grant connect to guest
    deny connect to login1
    go
    use mydb1

execute as login='login1'
     use mydb2 --fails
    revert 

Note that login1 will not be able to access any objects in mydb2, even via cross-database ownership chains.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:13 PM