Calling HolographicDisplay.GetDefault() in the May 2019 update (1903) returns null, previously it did not. RRS feed

• Question

• With the May 2019 update (1903), the following call results in HolographicDisplay being null.

HolographicDisplay HolographicDisplay = HolographicDisplay.GetDefault();

On pervious releases of Windows 10, if MR capability was available, this call returned a valid object.

This is a bug.  API's should work consistently across Windows releases.

Friday, June 7, 2019 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Neomata,

The Holographic APIs are out of scope for this forum. You can open a free support case for Mixed Reality development and talk directly with the MR dev support team. I've included instructions for opening the ticket below.

1. Go to http://aka.ms/storesupport 
    2. Click on the "contact us" tab
    3. Select "windows mixed reality development" from the dropdown list
    4. Click "submit an incident"
    5. Select "universal app UI development" from the dropdown
    6. Select "holographic API" from the dropdown
    7. Click "next"
    8. Fill out the remainder of the requested information clicking "next" as needed

If you have any problems opening a ticket please let me know and I can help you through the process. 

-James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Friday, June 7, 2019 5:54 PM
  • I have submitted an issue as suggested.  Thanks.  Given Holographic is part of UWP, perhaps this forum needs to be renamed to something more specific.  Also, the Feedback hub has turned out to be a fruitless place to report API bugs.  Hopefully your suggestion is better.

Since API bugs are a big deal (I should think), it may be time to have an expedited way of dealing with such things.  API bugs affect not just a given developer, but the whole platform.  There are several serious issues in 1903 that need immediate attention.  Not expediting serious issues taints the perception of the platform.

Perhaps even rate devs on their reporting so you can better prioritize what needs to be immediately actionable.

The above bug is a big deal.  MR rendering optimizations aren't possible with out it.

Friday, June 7, 2019 7:11 PM