Porting Windows 8 to Android tablets

Question

• I've been wondering given the ARM support in Windows 8, and the swift manner with which Samsung came out with a Windows 8 tablet, it should be possible to port Windows 8 into existing Android tablets. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start this small project??

Thanks in advance...

• Edited by devil2evil Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:53 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:47 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The Samsung tablets that you may have seen or heard about at the BUILD keynote running Windows 8 have Intel-based processors in them.  These tablets are not the same thing as the Android-based tablets running ARM processors.

The developer preview images that are currently available on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx all require either a 64-bit X64 processor or a 32-bit X86 processor.  Details about ARM support will be announced at a later time.  Thank you for your interest in Windows 8 on ARM!

Sincerely,

Dan

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The Samsung tablets that you may have seen or heard about at the BUILD keynote running Windows 8 have Intel-based processors in them.  These tablets are not the same thing as the Android-based tablets running ARM processors.

The developer preview images that are currently available on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx all require either a 64-bit X64 processor or a 32-bit X86 processor.  Details about ARM support will be announced at a later time.  Thank you for your interest in Windows 8 on ARM!

Sincerely,

Dan

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:35 AM
  • i would love to see this sooner rather than later.  i have the Viewsonic Gtab with the Nvidia Tegra 2 that i rooted and upgraded rom to bottle of smoke (honeycomb - thanks robeet).   would very much like to get the Win8 bits running on it.  would be happy to be tester and make this happen.  the gtab has a great dev comunity that would love this.

btw.  Microsoft team - awesome job in the win8 dev release.  from what i have seen so far i am really impressed

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:18 AM
  • Yes I too would love to see a release for tablets.  I have an Asus Transformer running Android, and as much as i do like Android,  I am still a windows fan.  And would like to get windows running on it.  I know a lot of drivers for Touch screen, video, wifi, gps, etc etc need to be created for the products.  Rumor has it that the new Tegra 3 Asus transformers are going to possible have a windows 8 on them.  Now if that being true, the driver issues will not be a problem cause i am sure cost wise other than a processor change Asus or other companies are not going to change every piece of hardware in the table.  So i am sure the Wifi chip, etc will be the same.  now processor and video may be an issue with the older tegra 2's to the tegra 3's but hard to say.  Biggest thing that i think killed a lot of the Pocket PC world was the lack of apps and not being able to run x86 apps on them with windows mobile.  But with the big boom in the tablet world, i think windows 8 arm would really make a huge impact and would be something that people are really going to work on developing for..  Big thing you need to get together is an apps store for sure.  if you can show that the apps that are great on the iphone or android are even better and more advanced for windows tablets you have a winner for sure..   Apps for singing, or plugging in your guitar and getting the tablet for effect. Big Big for apple and if developers put them out for windows and even made them half the price or free for download even with a little kickback from Microsoft for allowing to to be free in the market, you would get people to switch.  And working with companies saying lets make an SD card flash release for windows 8 people can buy plug in to their tablet and boom it flashes windows 8 to that manufactures tablet.  Same way that updates are done, you download an update to your tablet from the tablet manufacture, put in the sd to the tablet and press some combo or buttons Power and vol or whatever and the flash update begins, only now not updating another OS it is installing windows 8..  If you get manufactures on board for this you automatically get the drivers created for windows 8 and the support begins..
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Thanks to both PBenz and Craig for your ideas and feedback.  We love hearing them and we're looking forward to a time when we can say more about support for the ARM!

Sincerely,

Dan

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:42 PM
  • i am very much interested in this as well and wondering if windows 8 arm will be oem pre installed only or if people can purchase themselves an install on their own hardware?
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:29 AM
  • Hi, thank you very much for the information. But is there an estimate of the minimum system requirements of an ARM windows 8 OS? I would really like to run windows 8 on my existing android tablet, thank you very much!

Monday, November 07, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Every ARM chip design is potentially customised and thus they are not necessarily all identical. I'm pretty sure it's already been stated that Windows 8 on ARM will therefore be supplied to device manufacturers only and available purely as pre-installed solution.

Monday, November 07, 2011 8:36 PM
  • It would be great to see Windows 8 ported to HP TouchPad.  It has 1 GB of RAM, so memory wouldn't be an issue.

A lot of HP TouchPad owners are waiting for either an Android port or Windows 8 port (not holding our breath on this one).

If Windows 8 becomes available for HP Touchpad, I will buy it.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:44 PM