Catch All Dsl Exceptions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

Does anyone know how can I catch all the exceptions that are generated on the generated designer at runtime?

Thank you all!

BCoelho

Monday, June 4, 2007 4:24 PM

Answers

• I'm afraid there isn't an equivalent of Application_Error; ASP has the advantage that (at least from the server point of view) there is a single point of entry - everything stems from the http request from the client.

With a target designer, calls to the target designer code could orginate from a number of different sources (e.g. the toolbox, mouse movements, command menu clicks, design surface clicks, the model explorer, the property grid etc...), so there isn't a global event handler.

Duncan

Monday, June 11, 2007 8:54 PM

All replies

• BCoelho,

All of the DSL-specific exceptions derive from Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.ModelingException, which is defined in Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.Sdk.dll, so if you catch this exception you will know that there is a model-related problem.

However, a target designer might throw other "general" .Net exceptions where appropriate (such as ArgumentNullException).

Is there a particular scenario that you need to handle?

Duncan

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 11:05 AM
  • Actually no.

What I really wanted is a place or method to override where I can catch all exceptions that can occur at runtime.

Just like Application_Error in the global.asax file in the ASP world.

Thank you!
    Sunday, June 10, 2007 6:05 PM
  • I'm afraid there isn't an equivalent of Application_Error; ASP has the advantage that (at least from the server point of view) there is a single point of entry - everything stems from the http request from the client.

With a target designer, calls to the target designer code could orginate from a number of different sources (e.g. the toolbox, mouse movements, command menu clicks, design surface clicks, the model explorer, the property grid etc...), so there isn't a global event handler.

Duncan

Monday, June 11, 2007 8:54 PM