VSS and corrupt Word files RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VSS 2005 for document control with MS Word 2003 files. Recently I tried to open a file and it was corruppted. When Word opens up, it crashes without showing the contents of the file. It is not an issue with Word because I can open other Word files. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Also, is anyone using VSS 2005 for a similar purpose? I have recently read articles about how corruption is rampant in VSS. Have these problems been fixed in 2005 and is my incident an isolated one? I would appreciate any help anyone could provide. Thank you!
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:29 PM

Answers

• In that case the file should not be corrupted.  (Not that corruption is ever acceptable, but mistakenly flagging binary files as Text can corrupt them).  I would install the CTP build linked at the top of this forum and see if that helps -- there was one issue fixed where files were stored ok in the database but corrupted during the write to your local workspace.

Storing .doc files in VSS is fairly common.  I'm not aware of any systematic problems with doing so.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 6:34 PM

All replies

• If you look at the properties of the document in VSS Explorer, is its type listed as Binary?
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Yes, all of the Word files are listed as type Binary
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:14 PM
  • In that case the file should not be corrupted.  (Not that corruption is ever acceptable, but mistakenly flagging binary files as Text can corrupt them).  I would install the CTP build linked at the top of this forum and see if that helps -- there was one issue fixed where files were stored ok in the database but corrupted during the write to your local workspace.

Storing .doc files in VSS is fairly common.  I'm not aware of any systematic problems with doing so.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 6:34 PM