difference between CCR , CCD and file RRS feed

• Question

• hey ,

what is the difference between CCD , CCR and File types in Healthvault ..
    also i wanna ask how can we save patient data in XML file to be exported to healthvault , i mean the correct format to save patient data in XML file

i appreciate ur help
    thank u

Monday, July 27, 2009 1:17 PM

Answers

• Let me explain in a bit more detail--

CCD, CCR, and File are each independent data types (thing types) in the HealthVault platform.  The File type allows for a set of file types/extensions, but does no additional validation or checks on the files themselves-- they are simply stored and retrieved as binary data.

CCD and CCR types have to match the CCD or CCR XML schemas and validate correctly.  Additionally, when a CCD or CCR is stored in a user's HealthVault record the user can "integrate" the document into their HealthVault record, which maps the individual items in the document to various HealthVault native data types.  The original document is also preserved-- so if I load a CCD with a list of medications into a HealthVault record and then go through the integration process, I'll end up with 1 CCD item and 5 Medication items stored in my HealthVault record.

In terms of the format for an XML file, if you use CCD or CCR you have to construct XML that matches the CCD or CCR schema, which are external public formats.  If you use the "File" data type and store an XML file, you can use any XML schema/format you choose.  HealthVault does not restrict you to any XML format for "File" items.

However-- keep in mind that any XML you store as a File will be of little use to the end user or to other HealthVault applications, and will have far less value in the HealthVault ecosystem than CCD or CCR data-- and certainly less than any of the native data types (Medication, Condition, etc, etc).
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi hkarmi,

The CCR-CCD example in the SDK only demonstrates adding and retrieving those types from a HealthVault record using the two included sample files. 

For more information on this, please follow the provided link

Hope this helps

Mahesh
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Let me explain in a bit more detail--

CCD, CCR, and File are each independent data types (thing types) in the HealthVault platform.  The File type allows for a set of file types/extensions, but does no additional validation or checks on the files themselves-- they are simply stored and retrieved as binary data.

CCD and CCR types have to match the CCD or CCR XML schemas and validate correctly.  Additionally, when a CCD or CCR is stored in a user's HealthVault record the user can "integrate" the document into their HealthVault record, which maps the individual items in the document to various HealthVault native data types.  The original document is also preserved-- so if I load a CCD with a list of medications into a HealthVault record and then go through the integration process, I'll end up with 1 CCD item and 5 Medication items stored in my HealthVault record.

In terms of the format for an XML file, if you use CCD or CCR you have to construct XML that matches the CCD or CCR schema, which are external public formats.  If you use the "File" data type and store an XML file, you can use any XML schema/format you choose.  HealthVault does not restrict you to any XML format for "File" items.

However-- keep in mind that any XML you store as a File will be of little use to the end user or to other HealthVault applications, and will have far less value in the HealthVault ecosystem than CCD or CCR data-- and certainly less than any of the native data types (Medication, Condition, etc, etc).
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:25 AM