Windows Mobile Device Center Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Since last week I am unable to connect any mobile device to my desktop machine. I'm a developer who is used to docking handhelds with my computer several times a day and have never had this problem. I'm running vista home premium and have tried a couple of different mobile device types, but the problem is with my desktop, its has nothing to do with the device.

The problem has shown itself in several ways:

1) WMDC hangs on flash screen.

2) WMDC takes a long time to load but eventually it does show the home screen, but does not try connect.

3) Sometimes when device is docked it shows the message "you must install active sync 4.5 or higher......". But I think this is because WMDC on the desktop is so broken!

It never connects. I've gone through all the basic troubleshooting-

- rebooting

- different mobile devices

- I've re-installed WMDC

- I've even installed the latest vista service pack.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

Monday, March 22, 2010 12:27 PM

Answers

• I have a suggestion.

1. Unplug the mobile device.

2. On your desktop, Go to Device Manager and expand the Network Adapters node. Under that do you see an entry for Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter ? If yes, right-click and Uninstall it.

3. Plug in the mobile device again.

- Onkar

http://www.42gears.com
    Monday, March 22, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Here is the solution from a customer with the same question:

SOLUTION: The solution for me was in Device Manager. It was a driver issue. In device manager there was a yellow warning sign on windows mobile device when i connect my usb to the vista laptop. I basically just right clicked and uninstalled the device. Then unplugged my usb from my rw6828 and then plug it back again. Then the device was recognised correctly ie the driver installed and the yellow sign was gone. And all was sweet. No more errors.

So I suggest that everyone who has this issue go to their device manager and see if there is a yellow mark against their device. Post back if this works for you.

For more information:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobileactivesync/thread/56e1b653-ec2a-48d8-9b2e-b6c95a2f2284

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:58 AM

All replies

• I have a suggestion.

1. Unplug the mobile device.

2. On your desktop, Go to Device Manager and expand the Network Adapters node. Under that do you see an entry for Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter ? If yes, right-click and Uninstall it.

3. Plug in the mobile device again.

- Onkar

http://www.42gears.com
    Monday, March 22, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion but when the device is disconnected he remote adapter entry in the device manager dissapears.

In the event log I'm geting a message which seems to be related to my problem:

"Windows Mobile-based device failed to connect due to communication (0x80072745) failure (see data for failure code)."

But I don't really know what this means?

I've also unchecked Settings>Connections>USB To PC> Enable advanced network functionality. When I do this my PC picks up the device and installs the driver. But I need it syncing through the WMDC. 

This is a huge problem for me as it stopping me from working :(

Thanks

Steve

Monday, March 22, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Here is the solution from a customer with the same question:

SOLUTION: The solution for me was in Device Manager. It was a driver issue. In device manager there was a yellow warning sign on windows mobile device when i connect my usb to the vista laptop. I basically just right clicked and uninstalled the device. Then unplugged my usb from my rw6828 and then plug it back again. Then the device was recognised correctly ie the driver installed and the yellow sign was gone. And all was sweet. No more errors.

So I suggest that everyone who has this issue go to their device manager and see if there is a yellow mark against their device. Post back if this works for you.

For more information:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobileactivesync/thread/56e1b653-ec2a-48d8-9b2e-b6c95a2f2284

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:58 AM