none
Disable option to Add retention policy for end users RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I wanted to know if there is a way programatically (or through exchange admin center UI) to disable the options for users to add retention policies.

I am looking for option when you goto  "https://outlook.office.com/owa/?path=/options/retentionpolicies" and click on plus (+) icon to add policies available. At this page, users can see all available policies created by Exchange admin. They can select any of the policy here and click Save option to make it available in their mailbox. For our specific requirement, this should not be the case. Users should only be able to add specific policies created for them only.

So is there  a way to disable this add option or make certain policies not visible to end users, when they click on plus (+) button.

Thanks in advance. Below are the images to add policies which i was referring to.

Image 1

Image to Add from available set of policies

Image 2

ashishshukla.1183

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:36 PM

Answers

• You can't change the way the UI works Item retention is most orgs is largely procedural, is most cases the number of users who would actually be able to navigate the configuration screens in OWA and Outlook to add the Retention Tag and understand what it means (a lot of IT people don't understand retention policies) is going to be fairly low. The policy you want to limit has a larger retention period so you could write a script and run it once week to find any users that are using the incorrect polices and produce a Report that can then be followed up by help desk who can follow up with the user. In that way you get a understanding of why a user has gone to the trouble of trying to increase the retention of Items etc.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:29 AM

All replies

• "Personal tags" Retention policies https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955(v=exchg.150).aspx on Folders and Items within a mailbox are meant to be a user administer feature so you can't disable them in the way your asking (eg by default the 30 days tag is used on the Junk Email Folder etc) the Retention Polices and Tags themselves can be added/removed/customized how you please.Programmatically retention policy tags can be applied or removed on behalf of the user to folder and Items (as long as you have access) using the PolicyTag Class in EWS https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.item.policytag(v=exchg.80).aspx

Chees
    Glen

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:03 AM
  • Thanks for the response Glen.

I understand your point, but I donot want user to misuse the retention policy. eg. there are two policies created by admin: one for 'Delete in 6 months and other Delete in 3 years.

Delete in 3 years policy should only be available for users from Dept 1 and not for all other users in the company. All other users should only be using Delete in 6 months. Since, they have the option to add policy as mentioned in my post earlier, they can apply  Delete in 3 years on their mail files.

As of now I haven't found any way to accomplish this. Wold appreciate any suggestions or workarounds.

ashishshukla.1183

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:34 AM
  • You can't change the way the UI works Item retention is most orgs is largely procedural, is most cases the number of users who would actually be able to navigate the configuration screens in OWA and Outlook to add the Retention Tag and understand what it means (a lot of IT people don't understand retention policies) is going to be fairly low. The policy you want to limit has a larger retention period so you could write a script and run it once week to find any users that are using the incorrect polices and produce a Report that can then be followed up by help desk who can follow up with the user. In that way you get a understanding of why a user has gone to the trouble of trying to increase the retention of Items etc.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Thanks Glen. I suppose the only way to overcome this is to generate a report and target specific users, as you have suggested.

ashishshukla.1183

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:55 PM