none
sensor.elevationAngle shows -64 ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a program where I rotate the sensor automatically up and down for a couple of seconds (less than 10 times and I let it rest afterwards).

While it is rotating, I write the sensor.ElevationAngle values in a file. I have defined a max angle beforehand, so when it reaches angle = -10 it will go to 10 and vice versa. The thing is that all intermediate values in my file as recorded as -64.

Is there a way to record correctly those values or I am doing something wrong with the sensor?

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:16 PM

All replies

• Is the kinect at a specific angle initially? You have to keep in mind that if you say hold your kinect at a +-90 degree angle, it'll give values greater/less than -27 to 27. This is demonstrated in; http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/KinectQuickstart/Camera-Fundamentals (towards the end) when Dan places the kinect at different angles with his hand.

Edit: What I mentioned is discussed here; http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/99ef210d-f827-47fe-bc6d-7f91e93dd8c2

Though I'm doubting that's the problem as you're probably aware that occurs. Not only that but if all your values for elevation angle are recorded as -64 something's up. Well without seeing any code, I can't really say what's wrong, but have you tried displaying the elevation in your program on a label before writing it to a file? I haven't had any problems reading out the elevation angle and I've used it for a floor scanning operations making multiple calls to the elevation angle (and movement).

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:11 AM
  • Thanks for your reply ni28.

Yes, I am aware of the fact you mentioned. My kinect is in its "normal" position on a table and I initialize its elevation angle at 0 and then I start rotating it up and down. If I output the values in the console, they still are -64. I can post some code if you think it would be helpful.

The weird thing is that when it reaches 10 or -10, these values are written correctly but the intermediate don't.

When you used it in your application, were the rotations continuous -one rotation immediately after the other-?

Thanks again 

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:42 PM