Getting started in Mobile web development with WebForms RRS feed

• Question

• User-822253756 posted

I just started working for a new company and we have a number of websites build mostly in .NET 3.5 as well as some classic ASP.

I'm tasked to create a web version of a fairly simple existing web app and am trying to determine where to get started. 

Device/OS/Screen-size detection. 

What's are some good ways to accomplish this? I've looked briefly at WURFL and 51degrees products but feel they may be overkill. We simply want to customize the CSS based on the above 3 variables IF we need to.

MVC/Web Forms

Is anyone out there doing mobile web development using WebForms? It seems like .NET mobile web development is all about MVC. I can see the argument for using that framework for new sites if you want to have a mobile/desktop views and share the same business logic.  Since none of our developers currently use MVC and none of our existing sites are written using it I hesitate to start down that path to create mobile versions of our existing sites.  We're not going to be able to re-write the existing sites in MVC. 

User Interface Elements

I've looked at JQueryMobile and it seems great... if your'e using MVC, which none of our sites currently are.  Are there any other libraries or just any good resources for designing user interface elements for the mobile web? (IE, how to create text/css links that are finger-size... etc.) Although perhaps this is a question better asked in a design forum. Thought I'd bring it up.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:28 PM

All replies