none
how to create data application that runs on user pc without installing sqlserver. RRS feed

• Question

• heyz all, this is my first post in almost everything Smile. when i come across a problem, i usually search for ppl already posted something about it, anywayz, here's my question : i've done many projects on c# that uses sqlserver, but when i give the project for the user to work on it, i had to install sqlserver express edition and .net framework as a seperate two setup files, the question is, can i embed not all the sql server but some of its function(the functions that needs to let my application runs properly) and also some of the .net framework functions and make an installer that's not that big as the .net framework or sqlserver ? i hope i made myself clear.
    thnx.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 7:38 AM

Answers

• You can make a server/client application so that you will have to install sql server only on server and clients will be able to retrieve and save data they need. Alternatively, if you don't require all functionality of sql server, you can use Sql Lite which has small footprint.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 8:48 AM
  • You can always use the SQL Compact Edition which has a very small footprint. 

If the data is not huge, you can alternatively use XML/XSD files.  These are not as efficient, but can be done and doesn't require the SQL Server install.

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:31 PM

All replies

• You can make a server/client application so that you will have to install sql server only on server and clients will be able to retrieve and save data they need. Alternatively, if you don't require all functionality of sql server, you can use Sql Lite which has small footprint.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 8:48 AM
  • hey Giogi, thnx for the quick reply but what about if the application am developin' is for only one user, like any program we download from download.com, // but stores data ofcourse, i mean needs someway to store data like sql

i was thinkin' if there's maybe another way to store data other than sqlserver, which doesn't need to install anything on the user's pc,

thnx again Giogi

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:50 AM
  • You can always use the SQL Compact Edition which has a very small footprint. 

If the data is not huge, you can alternatively use XML/XSD files.  These are not as efficient, but can be done and doesn't require the SQL Server install.

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:31 PM
  •  

hey Walt, i'll check the SQL compact edition, and about XML/XSD, that's somethin' i dunno nothin' about  , i just though it'll be much easier than i though, indeed. but thnx anyway.

peace.

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:11 PM