90 day free trial scam RRS feed

• Question

• I signed up for the 90 day free trial after watching the keynote I launched an website everything went fine over the next few days I played around with the management console so I could get a feel for how things work after ten days or so I got an email saying my account was disabled no explanition why my usage Storage transactions 6.25 = 1 cent compute hours 176 Data  transfer = 0.26 GB

I had to release my spending limit and give them access  to charge my credit card to reactivate my 90 day FREE???? trial what joke here is the email I got

Your 3-Month Free Trial subscription has been disabled and will be deprovisioned in 90 day(s) to prevent charges to your credit card.

We have retained your data beyond the expiration date but when we do deprovision your subscription, we will permanently delete all your data and you will no longer be able to retrieve it. Please copy any data you want to keep without delay.

You can log in to https://account.windowsazure.com/Home/Index to remove this limit and continue using your subscription.

To renew your subscription:

1. Sign in to http://WindowsAzure.com/Account with your Windows Live ID.
    2. On the ‘Subscriptions’ page, find your subscription.
    3. In the ‘Actions’ list for your subscription, select ‘Opt in to auto renew’, and then click ‘Go’.

Thank you for using Microsoft Online Services.

Windows Azure

Note: Please do not respond to this message.
    For technical information and resources about using the Windows Azure platform, please visit our Windows Azure Developer Center at http://WindowsAzure.com/Develop

learning development

I thought the 90 day free ha ha trail was so we could see what you would get for our money if we decided to use Azure for commercial apps I found a few bugs in the system that make me reluctant to put up apps from any of my customers and I wouldn't even consider putting their apps up untill I went throug the full 90 day free trial and knew I could be sure I could fullfill any cometments I made to them using Azure as it is would be a good way to get myself sued  has anyone else had this problem

• Edited by rickjac Friday, December 23, 2011 6:03 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 5:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

In my personal opinion, Microsoft should'n say that you can grab your apps and put them on Azure without changes. In fact you can, the target platform let you do that but, it's a different platform, with services that you pay for so, software has to be changed in order to be cost effective on Azure. It's an excelent platform but is different, so changes are required.

If your subscription expired, you should check what was the cause of it. Simple re-enabling your account wound't solve the problem.

Azure it's not a scam, the problem is that app's that people put in there are not tweaked for that kind of platform.

Investigate what was the cause of your unexpected usage, maybe customer support can help you. https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. Best Regards.
    Friday, December 23, 2011 10:30 AM
  • @Vitor Tomaz YOU MUST BE KIDING . YOU WORK FOR MICROSOFT ????  thats your reply to my thread you see by the usage numbers in my first thread I never went over with my usage and the account was only ten days old when they disabled it they said 90 days free not me and well if Azure is not free for 90 days they shouldn't say 90 days and if the app I put up is broken the default template is broken because thats what I used
    learning development

• Edited by rickjac Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:20 AM
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 7:13 AM
  • No, I dont work for Microsoft!

You have a 90 days free trial with limits, you know that. If your app reach that limit sooner than expected its because there is a design problem in your app or you dont know what you are doing!

Im idiot becausa I dont get payed to try to help you here in the forum, and I'm still here trying to help! Thats why!

It seams that there is a problem with storage transactions? What is the app doing? Are storage and compute in the same datacenter? What services of storage are you using?

Merry Xmas

Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:35 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I contacted Microsoft Support but haven't gotten a response yet.

I am seeing close to 14,000 storage transactions per day and I have an essentially idle (it's not public yet and so I am the only one ever hitting the web site) web app deployed to two extra small instances.  The thing is that my app does not use Azure Storage APIs at all.  

I can only think of these possibilities

• Something is wrong with the billing portal or how it tracks storage transactions.
    • Something in Azure is using storage behind the scenes as part of maintining my idle website.  If this is the case, it is kind of stupid that the 90 day trial only provides enough storage transactions to last 4-5 days.
    • Some third party/open source library I have included in my application is using Azure Storage.  I don't think this is the case, and in fact, I don't think this is even possible, because I never provided my storage access key in any configuration file, so no library should even be able to hit my storage account.

At this point, I don't even understand how to track this down.

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:55 AM
  • I am having the same problem.  I contacted Microsoft Support but haven't gotten a response yet.

I am seeing close to 14,000 storage transactions per day and I have an essentially idle (it's not public yet and so I am the only one ever hitting the web site) web app deployed to two extra small instances.  The thing is that my app does not use Azure Storage APIs at all.  

I can only think of these possibilities

• Something is wrong with the billing portal or how it tracks storage transactions.
    • Something in Azure is using storage behind the scenes as part of maintining my idle website.  If this is the case, it is kind of stupid that the 90 day trial only provides enough storage transactions to last 4-5 days.
    • Some third party/open source library I have included in my application is using Azure Storage.  I don't think this is the case, and in fact, I don't think this is even possible, because I never provided my storage access key in any configuration file, so no library should even be able to hit my storage account.

At this point, I don't even understand how to track this down.

Hi,

That's very weird, do you have diagnostics on? have you changed diagnostics/monitoring configuration?

Do you have a storage account right? what's in it?

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Best Regards.

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:31 AM
  • I figured this out last night (short answer, it was Diagnostics).

I do have a storage account (Visual Studio automatically creates it) but it appears empty in both Visual Studio and Storage Explorer except for a wad-control-container.  

I enabled Azure Storage Analytics to see what the transactions were and they were thousands of erroring (404 errors) requests for a bunch of blobs that do not exist (mostly named MACommand.xml or similar) in a "mam" container that does not exist.  I don't know what these mam blobs are for, but they appear to be related to Diagnostics.

I remembered that I had checked this checkbox (but done nothing else to set Diagnostics up):

So I disabled it and re-published, and the storage transactions have stopped.   Note, although there were about 14,000 transacations per day (almost entirely requests for non-existent blobs), there didn't seem to be any actual diagnostics data being stored in my storage account (no IIS log files, etc).  I haven't investigated what else I need to do to make Diagnostics actually work.

I do have a support ticket open and the Azure support team is looking at what this is and if there is something wrong about these transactions or if they are a normal side effect.

I do thing it is unfortunate that checking this checkbox causes the 90 day free trial to use up all of the provided storage transactions in just a few days.  There should at least be a warning when you enable this.  The cost is insignificant (10,000 = $0.01), and it is more an issue that the free trial gets locked down shortly after you start using it unless you upgrade it to a normal unrestricted subscription and let it start billing you for $0.01 per day or so.

Friday, December 30, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Thanks Erv,

Maybe your answer will help a lot of people in the future. 

You published with UseDevelopmentStorage=true ?

Maybe there's the cause of the problem...

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Best Regards.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:34 PM
  • You published with UseDevelopmentStorage=true ?

No, It is not using the development storage when publishing.  The second checkbox in the screenshot dynamically changes the connection string to be your production storage account whenever you publish.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:41 AM
  • You published with UseDevelopmentStorage=true ?

No, It is not using the development storage when publishing.  The second checkbox in the screenshot dynamically changes the connection string to be your production storage account whenever you publish.

Hi,

I know, my point was: maybe the dyn switch to production account didn't work out that time and it's the cause of the problem. Let's see if support can figure it out.

Have you checked if the production storage account is proper configured?

Happy New Year

Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Good one Erv I'm going to leave this post unanswered until they do something about this this means the 90 day free trial has a bug introduced to lock down the free trial to make it not free I think they should fix this or at least tell people that the default configuration causes the 90 day free trial the last only a few days
    learning development
    • Edited by rickjac Sunday, January 1, 2012 5:15 AM
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 5:14 AM
  • this means the 90 day free trial has a bug introduced to lock down the free trial to make it not free
    Do you actually believe that?
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 8:03 PM
  • The same problem for me Erv.

i enabled the free trial and the storage transactions reached 70% in 3 days.

i'll check the diagnostics as you suggested and also apply for customer support.

this is wrong if i can't evaluate me apps in a reasonable time.

thanks.

zahi.

Monday, January 2, 2012 10:12 AM
  • I found thousands of these errors

The SLUINotify service terminated with the following error:
    The specified module could not be found.

I can't believe no one from Microsoft has come on the forum to address this issue it seems I'm not the only one that is having this issue

learning development
    Friday, January 6, 2012 4:13 AM
  • Hi  rickjac !

I am having the same issue you had (concerning the reuqests to MACommand.xml). Did you ever managed to solve this issue ?

( This is the thread I opened : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazuretroubleshooting/thread/2e2f46dd-638a-4af1-b8ac-cfd7659a3171)

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:22 AM
  • No I haven't but it seems there are a lot of pepole having the same problem and the Azure team seems to have no interest in solving it maybe they don't care according to Scott Guthrie they where supposed to be watching the forums after the big 90 day free trial promotion on the 12th of Dec.
    learning development
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:42 AM
  • In fact, there is a "problem" with turning on diagnostics...

Check this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazuretroubleshooting/thread/2e2f46dd-638a-4af1-b8ac-cfd7659a3171/?prof=required

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:25 PM
  • I republished and I disabled Diagnostics  and I'm still getting 10,000 transactions a day
    learning development
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:37 AM
  • I republished and I disabled Diagnostics  and I'm still getting 10,000 transactions a day
    learning development

Hi,

In that case I suggest you contact customer support: https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by rickjac Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:08 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:08 AM
  • My 90 days trial period was disabled just one day after sign in.. look.

-------From Microsoft

This mail is a confirmation that you have
    purchased the following items from Microsoft:
    Purchase Date
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012

--------------------  On the 29Th I received the same message as yours...

Your 3-Month Free Trial subscription has been
    disabled and will be deprovisioned in 90 day(s) to prevent charges to your
    credit card.

------------------

I was playing with a 10 MB MS access database that I was thinking to go to the cloud but microsoft does not respect its own words. I will have a look CASPIO now... microsoft really sucks!

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

In my personal opinion, Microsoft should'n say that you can grab your apps and put them on Azure without changes. In fact you can, the target platform let you do that but, it's a different platform, with services that you pay for so, software has to be changed in order to be cost effective on Azure. It's an excelent platform but is different, so changes are required.

If your subscription expired, you should check what was the cause of it. Simple re-enabling your account wound't solve the problem.

Azure it's not a scam, the problem is that app's that people put in there are not tweaked for that kind of platform.

Investigate what was the cause of your unexpected usage, maybe customer support can help you. https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

changes are not always required! I have just moved a web based application by changing ONLY the SQL connection string to point to SQL Azure.

I had to deploy to Azure which took an hour to put together the build and deployment scripts, but I did not change a single line of code!

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:39 AM
  • There is Storage Diagnostics that are available to you that will fully log and detail every single storage transactions and where it is coming from.

Are you using Queues with something polling them?
    Are you sure Diagnostics is turned off?
    What is in your storage account? Blobs? Containers?

If you had a blog up & running I could for instance hit your blog storage account from any browser, if I knew the URL and you had public content in it.

Hence Storage Diagnostics would be good. It would tell you exactly what is going on!
    Try it out and let us know.

ps. we do watch the forums :)

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

changes are not always required! I have just moved a web based application by changing ONLY the SQL connection string to point to SQL Azure.

I had to deploy to Azure which took an hour to put together the build and deployment scripts, but I did not change a single line of code!

Right, It's working, that's great! I mean it, it's great to be able to grab an app and just deploy it to Azure. Simple and easy.

But, it will be cost effective? is your app ready for SQL Azure throttling? If the app starts failing or costing way to much people will blaim the Azure platform and the problem it's not Azure, it's the app that sometimes isn't tunned... that was my point.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:29 AM
  • azure scam because in trial charge many money by a couple days "test" the platform, I charged with many undred usd and only install 1 report and view this report 2 times (a small basic report) and charge 300usd by 2 days up this non public report. I understand the politic but TRIAL IS A TRIAL if microsoft not respect this concept is a SCAM OF AZURE. I cancel after 2 days but ... again charge more money and not use, I know if use pay but if not use pay too?
    Friday, September 14, 2012 5:27 AM
  • azure scam because in trial charge many money by a couple days "test" the platform, I charged with many undred usd and only install 1 report and view this report 2 times (a small basic report) and charge 300usd by 2 days up this non public report. I understand the politic but TRIAL IS A TRIAL if microsoft not respect this concept is a SCAM OF AZURE. I cancel after 2 days but ... again charge more money and not use, I know if use pay but if not use pay too?

Hi, sorry to hear about that, can you see any report server as trial benefit at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/free-trial/

Can't right?... always take a look at princing first when using cloud, not only Azure, all cloud providers.... It's the same... pay per use.... use.... pay.... Trial only gives you some benefits...

Call support, see if they can help you...

Friday, September 14, 2012 11:15 PM