none
encrypt in .NET decrypt in Javascript RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've submitted this search term: encrypt in .net decrypt in javascript and hope to get some guidance here as well.

I'm developing a LightSwitch Silverlight client that will be installed to the desktop. This app wants to be used to encrypt data such as passwords and credit card data. I am also developing what we are calling a "companion app" using HTML5 and JavaScript that users can use on their mobile devices to read and use their data that needs to be decrypted. Most likely I will also use LightSwitch to develop the HTML client although I can do this latter task be hand if I need to.

I have no experience with encryption-decryption in .NET or JavaScript so I need some guidance here and ask "what should I consider?"

Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:48 PM

All replies

• The reason to encrypt/decrypt is beacuse of?

In many instances it is enough to transport the data over a secure connection instead of bothering about decrypting data on the client. To make it simple I would recommend to use SSL via HTTPS.

Saturday, August 22, 2015 11:34 AM
  • Agreed.

IMO the reverse is more common, say to encrypt the password be sent to server in fear that there will be decrypting proxy on the way, render the encryption useless. In that case there would be a number of choices exist for you.

Btw, the Crypto-JS I linked above should also help you solve your original question as it also supports decryption of a number of two-way encryption methods.

Monday, August 24, 2015 5:44 AM
    Answerer